is "spiciness" a really taste ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 10:16 AM
why do describe it as such ?

because no matter what type of spicy food I eat it doesn't really feel like its any kind of taste at all
from my experience its more like searing pain than anything else, the flavors and aroma may differ for each dish but the pain is a consistent experience......... and the reason why I drink a lot of milk after eating something spicy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 10:18 AM
RE: is "spiciness" a really taste ?
It is a taste. Even if you don't like the taste, your taste buds are still engaged. Wink

I love spicy food! Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
03-04-2016, 10:44 AM
(03-04-2016 10:16 AM)Ace Wrote:  why do describe it as such ?

because no matter what type of spicy food I eat it doesn't really feel like its any kind of taste at all
from my experience its more like searing pain than anything else, the flavors and aroma may differ for each dish but the pain is a consistent experience......... and the reason why I drink a lot of milk after eating something spicy

How is that even possible? Aren't you Indian? Did you just avoid Indian food when you were a kid?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
03-04-2016, 11:01 AM
ABOUT THE FIVE (OR SIX) MAIN BASIC TASTES

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-04-2016, 11:33 AM
I experience spice as a combination of flavor and sensation from the heat of the spice. I'm sorry that that sensation translates as pain to you! To me the heat is like a vibrato added to a straight tone: it makes the taste more complex and interesting. I lovelovelove spicy foods.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
04-04-2016, 06:27 AM
(03-04-2016 10:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

How is that even possible? Aren't you Indian? Did you just avoid Indian food when you were a kid?

oh I eat a lot of spicy food...... more than my doctor would like me to eat
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
04-04-2016, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2016 07:47 PM by Clockwork.)
May be your taste buds, or that you're more sensitive to the capsicum. When I eat spicy foods I can taste a lot. And I've eaten all the way up Carolina Reapers. Jigsaw grows ghost and chocolate habaneros, too. Often there are sauces I don't like; the heat is good but I don't like the flavors. For instance I don't like mango habanero, but I like the flavor of Buffalo Wild Wings' Blazin' sauce.
04-04-2016, 11:28 AM
(03-04-2016 10:16 AM)Ace Wrote:  ... and the reason why I drink a lot of milk after eating something spicy

Drink the milk before you eat the spicy food, too.
04-04-2016, 05:27 PM

....not really. Just the sensation of having capsasin on your tongue.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
04-04-2016, 06:19 PM
So-called "spiciness" in a food is not necessarily hot or pungent. Many spices are merely aromatic, such as cardamom, turmeric, cumin, fennel, nutmeg, coriander etc.

If you only experience a "searing pain" when eating spicy food, then the chef doesn't know what he or she is doing with the spices; the dish should register a subtle blend of flavours both on the palate, and as an aroma.

I think that when most people talk about "hot" spiced foods such as Indian or Mexican or Malaysian they're thinking primarily of chilli and its derivatives, or Jalapenos and their variants. And too many people think that a curry has to be tongue-searing to rate highly on the quality scale. Not so. Some curries I cook contain no chilli at all—particularly chicken or pork recipes which rely on blends of aromatics. Then again I do enjoy a beef vindaloo, which is traditionally made with vinegar, (lots of) chilli, and tamarind.

And yes; "spiciness" can definitely be defined as a taste. If you couldn't detect the spices on your palate, then you wouldn't know what you were eating.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.