is this a thing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2014, 08:59 AM
is this a thing?
Are children more prone to nightmares than adults?

I clearly remember having many, many nightmares as a kid, but as I got older they diminished. And now, they are non-existent. I sometimes can remember my dreams, but they are just an amalgamation of wackiness and random events.

My son had a nightmare last night and he has them on a regular basis. Even my 2 year old daughter gets them, although she can't articulate what they are. She gets them most every night because we hear her crying in her sleep.

When my son climbed in my bed last night, I began to wonder about this.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
29-04-2014, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2014 09:09 AM by Anjele.)
RE: is this a thing?
I think it's one of those many things that vary by kid.

My oldest had night terrors when she was around 7 or so...now that's a real picnic for everyone involved.

I also remember nightmares I had as a kid...some very clearly. I seldom have them any more.

Kids seem to sleep really deep. (At least mine did.) Maybe they hit that level of sleep where nightmares can fully form more often than we do as adults.

Interesting...I hadn't thought about that before. Consider

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
29-04-2014, 09:07 AM
NOVA did an interesting documentary about dreams.

Talked about the hypothesis that nightmares are the brains way of preparing you for dangers you might face irl. When you're young they are usually things like monsters, as you get older they morph into things you might actually have to deal with.

I know that doesnt answer your question, like, at all. But I just wanted to mention it. Smile
[+] 5 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
29-04-2014, 09:07 AM
It all depends on what I've eaten and more importantly, how much alcohol I've consumed.

But, no, I still get them.

Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
29-04-2014, 09:11 AM
(29-04-2014 08:59 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Are children more prone to nightmares than adults?

I clearly remember having many, many nightmares as a kid, but as I got older they diminished. And now, they are non-existent. I sometimes can remember my dreams, but they are just an amalgamation of wackiness and random events.

My son had a nightmare last night and he has them on a regular basis. Even my 2 year old daughter gets them, although she can't articulate what they are. She gets them most every night because we hear her crying in her sleep.

When my son climbed in my bed last night, I began to wonder about this.

My girls seemed to have more when they were younger. Now at ages 8 & 10, they still have them but handle them differently. I think they realize that it's just a dream and their sleep is heavier in some way so they aren't awake as easily. But I'm just guessing.

My youngest daughter seemed to have more than the older one. When she reached age 3 she was able to verbalize that she was having headaches that would cause her to wake up screaming and crying. Eventually she would vomit, then go right back to sleep. It was crazy. It took months to figure out that it wasn't a virus, at times it seemed like it was on a monthly schedule, that it wasn't outside factors affecting her, other times it was completely random. Almost five years later we have figured out some of her migraine triggers and her iron levels seem to run low, which disturbs sleep.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
29-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I never had nightmares.
I always knew it was a dream.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
29-04-2014, 09:25 AM
I have more nightmares now than I used to when I was a kid. Actually the vast majority of the dreams I get to remember are nightmares nowadays Gasp

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
29-04-2014, 09:43 AM
Dreams and nightmares are the brains way of helping to process information and solve problems from the waking life.

Are they nightmares or night terrors?

Kids imagination (visual) is more active than an adults, due to both development as well as lacking the communication (verbal, vocabulary) skill set adults have.

Triggers could be (negative or positive) stress (moving, change in school, change in the family, etc), but it is a 'normal' part of development, and yes they are more prone to it. There are things you can do to lessen the intensity or frequency (night mares are 'out of control', to reign them in give a 'sense of control'). Things such as bedtime routine, night light, comfort item, talking about how mom and dad are close and they are never alone, etc.

Poor guy! I forget his age, but I think he is at the 'peak' of imagination (roughly ages 3-5).

(ETA, to the adults with nightmares, you got problems yo, solve it)
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
29-04-2014, 09:50 AM
For my kids they tended to happen right around the time they were close to achieving a new milestone.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
29-04-2014, 09:58 AM
(29-04-2014 09:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  For my kids they tended to happen right around the time they were close to achieving a new milestone.

BlinkI'm disturbed yet curious to find out which "milestone" this is. (probably puberty.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post