is this an accurate description of a theist's relationship with god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2013, 03:18 PM
is this an accurate description of a theist's relationship with god?
[Image: happy-valentines-day]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis. The whole
thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone
with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the
great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of
life
— Sigmund Freud
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like nkorni's post
18-02-2013, 04:12 PM
RE: is this an accurate description of a theist's relationship with god?
(18-02-2013 03:18 PM)nkorni Wrote:  [Image: happy-valentines-day]

Pretty much. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-02-2013, 12:56 PM
As Chas said; pretty much.

However, what needs to be noted (and what I think many people tend to overlook) is that to the theist, none of those things are as terrible and malicious as they are to us. We read "You're nothing without me", and we're taken aback. We're offended by the blatant narcissism and attempt at degradation. But the theist doesn't see it that way. The theist accepts it with a big, dumb smile and says "That's true; I'm nothing without God. That's why I love him so much!" Back when God was #1 in my life, I was ok with my position of insignificance and my "sinful" nature. I accepted that I had been born a worthless, broken creature in the eyes of God. It's not something that most theists get upset about. To you and me, it's deplorable. But to them, it's just life, and they're overjoyed to be considered worthless when compared to an almighty god. It's comparable to a woman who's lived through years of spousal abuse. At a certain point, the brainwashing is complete, and every time she's hit, she doesn't wonder "where does he get the nerve to hit me?", she wonders "what did I do wrong to deserve this fitting punishment, and how can I better myself for him?"

That's why they like to accuse non-believers of being arrogant. We don't feel the need to bow at the feet of a tyrant - as they do - and that screams of arrogance and self-righteousness to them. So they call us "prideful" and "rebellious", because their brains have been thoroughly washed and they can't fathom what it's like to not live under the iron fist of a degrading, emotionally abusive ruler.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Misanthropik's post
23-02-2013, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2013 01:20 PM by Hobbitgirl.)
(23-02-2013 12:56 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  As Chas said; pretty much.

However, what needs to be noted (and what I think many people tend to overlook) is that to the theist, none of those things are as terrible and malicious as they are to us. We read "You're nothing without me", and we're taken aback. We're offended by the blatant narcissism and attempt at degradation. But the theist doesn't see it that way. The theist accepts it with a big, dumb smile and says "That's true; I'm nothing without God. That's why I love him so much!" Back when God was #1 in my life, I was ok with my position of insignificance and my "sinful" nature. I accepted that I had been born a worthless, broken creature in the eyes of God. It's not something that most theists get upset about. To you and me, it's deplorable. But to them, it's just life, and they're overjoyed to be considered worthless when compared to an almighty god. It's comparable to a woman who's lived through years of spousal abuse. At a certain point, the brainwashing is complete, and every time she's hit, she doesn't wonder "where does he get the nerve to hit me?", she wonders "what did I do wrong to deserve this fitting punishment, and how can I better myself for him?"

That's why they like to accuse non-believers of being arrogant. We don't feel the need to bow at the feet of a tyrant - as they do - and that screams of arrogance and self-righteousness to them. So they call us "prideful" and "rebellious", because their brains have been thoroughly washed and they can't fathom what it's like to not live under the iron fist of a degrading, emotionally abusive ruler.
Well. In an abusive relationship when you're told things like that you start to believe it. Its very hard to see its wrong. Undecided It took me a long time after my marriage to discover I was a person again.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
23-02-2013, 02:11 PM
(23-02-2013 12:56 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I couldn't have said it better, you're completely spot on. As you mentioned, many theists will recoil at the image's suggestion that they're abused adherents to an overbearing tyrant. Something about religion and the notion of a supreme being makes it almost impossible for them to see it that way. Which is what often strikes me as very strange, that we the minority see it for what it is and the majority doesn't. In the face of this ridiculous god concept, I often find myself wondering if we the atheist are not missing something. How can so many be willing to accept such utter nonsense?
As Chas said; pretty much.

Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis. The whole
thing is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone
with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the
great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of
life
— Sigmund Freud
[+] 3 users Like nkorni's post