isaiah 37, 2 kings 19.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2014, 11:15 AM
isaiah 37, 2 kings 19.
I was wondering if any of you have ever used those bible verses in a debate and gotten any kind of legitimate response as they are exactly the same but ~120 years apart.

Seems to me it throws a really big wrench in the argument for the consistency of the bible over the time it was written and variety of authors, as it was clearly copied.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2014, 01:22 PM
RE: isaiah 37, 2 kings 19.
"Now, many ask why would two writers, write a chapter this near identical. Some skeptics state that one copied the other and first one thing or another. But the answer is simple, they were both guided by the Holy Spirit and God simply wanted this message recorded for two separate groups of people. The fact that it does differ the small amount that it does, shows that it was not attempted to be copied verbatim."

Duh.

Dodgy

Copycat Excuse

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 4 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
12-11-2014, 02:22 PM
function bibleInterpretation(bibleVerse)
{
if bibleVerse == ELEGANT
output = "proof of god's plan"
else
output = "mysterious way"
return
}
[+] 17 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
12-11-2014, 02:44 PM
(12-11-2014 02:22 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  function bibleInterpretation(bibleVerse)
{
if bibleVerse == ELEGANT
else
return
}

That has bugs and syntax errors.

So it fits perfectly. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 6 users Like Impulse's post
12-11-2014, 02:47 PM
(12-11-2014 02:44 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 02:22 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  function bibleInterpretation(bibleVerse)
{
if bibleVerse == ELEGANT
else
return
}

That has bugs and syntax errors.

So it fits perfectly. Smile

Well the key is to call interpret as infrequently as possible Wink.

Also, the langauges uses a "feels" based compiler with don't-take-it-out-of-context logic.
[+] 6 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
13-11-2014, 07:17 AM
(12-11-2014 01:22 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  "...But the answer is simple, they were both guided by the Holy Spirit and God simply wanted this message recorded for two separate groups of people..."

While this could be true, I wonder if they ever ask why God doesn't do this for all peoples. The fact that, for the first four thousand years, God's explicit actions taken on the world were limited to a small area on the planet makes the story indistinguishable for all of the other bronze age mythologies to come out at the same time.

I asked a Jehovah's Witness that once. She was actually stumped, and eventually came back two weeks later with a Watchtower article about how people always reject God anyway, so, it doesn't really matter.

Holy shit! Defeatist god is defeatist!
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
13-11-2014, 07:42 AM
(12-11-2014 01:22 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  "Now, many ask why would two writers, write a chapter this near identical. Some skeptics state that one copied the other and first one thing or another. But the answer is simple, they were both guided by the Holy Spirit and God simply wanted this message recorded for two separate groups of people. The fact that it does differ the small amount that it does, shows that it was not attempted to be copied verbatim."

Duh.

Dodgy

Copycat Excuse
I could understand if it were any different, but I believe that they are word for word identical unless I am missing something at least in the King James version. It is obvious that one had access to the other. I have yet to find anyone be able to give me a reason why (other than the obvious).

It presents a huge problem in the argument that I heard my pastor use many times over 5 years as proof the bible is the true word of god. "The bible is 66 books written by 40 authors over 1500 years and every book is consistent with the others."

He then proceeded to show us the math of 40 people in separate rooms writing stories and then putting the stories together, and how astronomically low the percentage would be that they were congruent at all. Obviously this is an apples to spacecraft comparison, but everyone seemed to buy it every time.

I can write an idea that I got from your writings and deny that I knew you wrote it down first, but if I copy and paste 1200 words of your book, then I don't have much of a case Smile

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
13-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Those aren't the only ones. Psalms 14 & 53 are also the same. Large portions of Chronicles and Kings are verbatim. Even in the New Testament there is some of this (I think it was Jude and Peter, but I can't remember that one exactly.) Then of course there are all sorts of accounts in the Pentateuch that are duplicates--2 accounts of creation, 2 accounts of the flood, 2 accounts of Hagar being exiled, 2 accounts of Abraham getting himself in a mess by calling Sarah his sister (plus a 3rd that was attributed to Isaac instead of Abraham). These last ones aren't verbatim copies (there are actually a number of key differences in the same story), but it clearly shows how much of the Bible is plagiarized and how much is a compilation of many differing accounts of myths.

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JonDarbyXIII's post
13-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Are you all familiar with the argument that real eyewitness and/or faithful chroniclers of history should have mostly similar accounts recorded, neither widely diverging nor word-for-word identical? Wouldn't that be the logical output of eyewitnesses or scribes? Aren't cops and prosecutors made suspicious when witnesses don't merely corroborate evidence but give identical testimonies?

The Q would also like to hear more regarding these chapters being over a century apart in scope and/or authorship.

Thank "q".

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post
13-11-2014, 04:23 PM
(13-11-2014 02:39 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Are you all familiar with the argument that real eyewitness and/or faithful chroniclers of history should have mostly similar accounts recorded, neither widely diverging nor word-for-word identical? Wouldn't that be the logical output of eyewitnesses or scribes? Aren't cops and prosecutors made suspicious when witnesses don't merely corroborate evidence but give identical testimonies?

I have heard Christians give that exact line of reasoning to explain away contradictions, especially in the gospel accounts--"If they were the same word for word, then that would be a problem." Well guess what, there is a lot in the Bible that is copied word for word. Do Christians agree that is a problem?

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]