isaiah 37, 2 kings 19.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: isaiah 37, 2 kings 19.
(24-11-2014 10:47 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  No. Read my question. Where did Jesus feed the 5000?
Doc

I did read your question. Scholars argue as to where this feeding of 5,000 took place. The four gospels record it so it is obviously of importance to them but not the location. Is that okay with you, since Luke alone in Luke and the Acts mentions hundreds of government leaders and place names/place descriptions?

If I wander through a desert, dying of thirst, and find an oasis and drink, then wander out of the desert to civilization, and you ask me where the oasis is located, I'd likely say, "I don't know where it was in the desert, I lost track of time a bit, but thank Jesus it was there..."

Once we perceive that the gospel authors (possible exception: Luke) did not see themselves as historians but rather as people wanting to tell spiritual truths about Jesus Christ, we can get back to focusing on the narrative without the locations, I hope. The "good news" is Jesus died and rose for sin. Trusting Him, we receive eternal life. The good news isn't the evening news, "Today is Tokyo, onlookers were startled when a convoy of trucks..."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2014, 02:28 PM
(25-11-2014 09:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 10:47 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  No. Read my question. Where did Jesus feed the 5000?
Doc

I did read your question. Scholars argue as to where this feeding of 5,000 took place. The four gospels record it so it is obviously of importance to them but not the location. Is that okay with you, since Luke alone in Luke and the Acts mentions hundreds of government leaders and place names/place descriptions?

No, it's not OK, particularly since you clearly did not read the portions yourself but relied on a quick Google search. Two of the gospels have this to say of the incident.

Mark 6:44,45: "The number of the men who had eaten was five thousand. Immediately Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd."

John 6:16, 17 (right after the feeding): "When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake, where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum."

Now, I know that your knowledge of the Bible is very shaky, so here's a map to help you out:
Map to help Q understand the Bible better.

Bethsaida and Capernaum are on opposite sides of the lake. I actually think that this is another missing miracle of the Bible. I actually think that Jesus fed the 5,000 twice. This is the second missing miracle I have described, The first one is in Matthew 21: 4-7 which says: "The disciples went and did as Jesus had instructed them. They brought the donkey and the colt, placed their cloaks on them, and Jesus sat on them." Jesus rode on two animals simultaneously! I suggested that this miracle be dubbed The Miracle of the Holy Ass. Anyone have any name suggestions for the new missing miracle?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
25-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Doc,

#1, of course it could be two identical miracles, of course it could be two sets of disciples going in different directions to proliferate the gospels, etc. Or it could be a contradiction.

#2, after his daughter's recent deconversion, I'm sure he's one of your favorite authors, but he gives several looks at the donkey and colt "contradiction" here:

http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/isaia...ught-jesus

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Doc, I saw this and immediately thought of you, you would make a great religion game show MC!

It is both off topic and on topic Big Grin sorry.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post