issues with sound

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 03:23 AM
issues with sound
Hey all.

Yesterday me and the wife moved. We hated our old apartment. It was a piece of shit and our neighbours were noisy.

I have fairly spectacular hearing which would surprise anyone who found out how I used to listen to music at full volume with fantastic headphones. My wife's hearing is sub par.

I also have numerous mental issues. I think I Kay have developed a new one in the last couple of years pertaining to sound.

At our last place our neighbours noise bothered me so much even when it was minor that I often retreated to my bedroom and plopped some headphones on because the noise was making me want to be physically aggressive. I mean when people are being excessively loud I've always been irritated and confrontational because its fucking rude, but I found myself getting touchier and touchier about it.

Now we are at our new place and I'm exhausted but can't sleep. This place is quite nice but there are still neighbourly noises around minor as they are. I feel like I'm going to explode. Every bump I hear makes me want to fly off the handle.
I can't sleep because I keep waiting for another noise. Its like I'm taking crazy pills. I'm going to get ear plugs in the morning but there has to be a better solution to my problem. It isn't even noisy here so far.

Argh, I'm a fucking mess.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2014, 03:31 AM
RE: issues with sound
I always find it takes me a few days to sleep properly in a new place...

When you say the neighbour noises are minor, what are they ? Kids shouting ? Furniture being moved ? Dogs barking ? Or death-metal at 2 in the morning ?

Kids and dogs - depending how much of it goes on, is reasonable to ask neighbours to control it. Late night music is a bug-bear of mine, I hate it. Fortunately no one where I live seems to do that...

Does this mean you're no longer stuck living with her parents ? 'Cos I recall that sounded like a tough spot too.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 04:55 AM
If you are tossing and turning, then toss and turn regularly, for example every 20 breaths. It's like EMDR. It helped me focus on my inner peace and use up the psychological energy that keeps you from sleeping.

Want something? Then do something.
02-01-2014, 05:02 AM
White noise? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise_machine

You can download free white noise online too, just google it. Very soothing, you just need to pick one that works for you in particular, not all of them work for all people.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Yeah when I say minor its stuff like the odd stomp by little kids and talking in the hallway. The only real noise is the sound of the underground parking door. Fuck that door.

I already use an app on an old phone that plays counter noises that helps me sleep. I used to run a fan as well and might have to add that to the repertoire once more.

The thing is the noises I experience are less than some of the noises one of my friends lives with daily. He's a short tempered guy. But he's not fazed by it at all. That sort of makes me realize I must be way over reacting to noise. Like I'm super sensitive to noise. I hear everything. I can hear when people turn on electronics. I can hear when people breath it seems. Then I obsess about it until I want to punch them in their stupid little faces.

I am contemplating smoking the ganj again just to knock me out at night.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 12:13 PM
(02-01-2014 12:02 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Yeah when I say minor its stuff like the odd stomp by little kids and talking in the hallway. The only real noise is the sound of the underground parking door. Fuck that door.

I already use an app on an old phone that plays counter noises that helps me sleep. I used to run a fan as well and might have to add that to the repertoire once more.

The thing is the noises I experience are less than some of the noises one of my friends lives with daily. He's a short tempered guy. But he's not fazed by it at all. That sort of makes me realize I must be way over reacting to noise. Like I'm super sensitive to noise. I hear everything. I can hear when people turn on electronics. I can hear when people breath it seems. Then I obsess about it until I want to punch them in their stupid little faces.

I am contemplating smoking the ganj again just to knock me out at night.
You could probably get hearing aids that are adjusted to lower the volume of the specific tones that you find so penetrating. Hearing aids just alter sounds these days, they are not amplifiers. Stands to reason they can be adjusted to a lower level also. May be worth checking into.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-01-2014, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 05:19 PM by Anjele.)
If I am anxious/nervous about something noises really get to me. When I am calm, I am not bothered so much.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
02-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Do you ever fly off the handle at your wife making noise?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
02-01-2014, 02:24 PM
I have this problem too. I try not to obsess so much about sounds, if you expect to hear something you'll hear it and it will annoy you. I use it to train my tolerance and to accept that some things I just can't control. It's also cool to notice how when you just let go you actually stop hearing things, it's like having eyelids on your ears Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
02-01-2014, 02:31 PM
I get irritable regarding sound. I'm a musician and have good hearing. ... I have a short temper too but I don't think I'm as bad about it as you are mate. ... This isn't for everyone, but have a look at some binaural ASMR stuff on YouTube. It helps me massively. You might find something that works.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member