jury duty and atheists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2013, 10:59 AM
jury duty and atheists
Does anyone know if attorneys will accept an atheist as a jury member. Also would they accept testimony from a witness that is an overt atheist since you have to swear on the bible? I haven't heard any discussion on this topic thus far.

Diety Free in Dixieland
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2013, 11:05 AM
RE: jury duty and atheists
(19-06-2013 10:59 AM)mec Wrote:  Does anyone know if attorneys will accept an atheist as a jury member. Also would they accept testimony from a witness that is an overt atheist since you have to swear on the bible? I haven't heard any discussion on this topic thus far.

many places don't make you swear on a bible, and if so, you can ask to take a different oath or affirmation. That says you are telling the truth or you will face the penalties of perjury.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
19-06-2013, 11:06 AM
(19-06-2013 10:59 AM)mec Wrote:  Does anyone know if attorneys will accept an atheist as a jury member. Also would they accept testimony from a witness that is an overt atheist since you have to swear on the bible? I haven't heard any discussion on this topic thus far.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-the-Court

We had a rather long discussion about this when Peanut got a summons to Jury duty. As for the bible thing I have never seen that in an actual court, I think it might be a hollywood trope thing.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
19-06-2013, 11:12 AM
(19-06-2013 11:06 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

We had a rather long discussion about this when Peanut got a summons to Jury duty. As for the bible thing I have never seen that in an actual court, I think it might be a hollywood trope thing.

But don't they say you promise to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you god?

Diety Free in Dixieland
19-06-2013, 11:13 AM
probably something more along the lines of you promising to tell the truth or bear the penalties of perjury.

19-06-2013, 11:14 AM
(19-06-2013 11:06 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

But don't they ask you to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you god?

Diety Free in Dixieland
19-06-2013, 11:17 AM
You can call the court ahead of time and just ask what they do. And probably any attorney in that area would be familiar with the local practices.

here's an article on it http://atheism.about.com/od/ideasforathe...mSwear.htm

19-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Well thanks for all the info. Guess things have changed over the years. Which is a good thing.

Diety Free in Dixieland
19-06-2013, 11:23 AM
(19-06-2013 11:14 AM)mec Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 11:06 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-the-Court

But don't they ask you to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you god?

The jury arent witnesses giving testimony. It's up to the individual,attorney's to challenge if they don't want an atheist on the jury or the judge to summarily dismiss them. The jury is given careful instructions by the judge what to consider.

To my knowledge the jury doesn't collectively take an oath, per se, they promise they have no preformed ideas about guilt or innocence and to remain impartial to the evidence presented.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-06-2013, 11:24 AM
(19-06-2013 11:12 AM)mec Wrote:  
(19-06-2013 11:06 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-the-Court

But don't they say you promise to tell the truth and the whole truth so help you god?

"Promise" is for minors, "swear" is for adults.
That's when we're talking witnesses though.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.