kid help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
RE: kid help
I agree with Underground. Don't be aggressive. My believing wife takes my kids with her every week and I don't stop her because I want them to learn about it so they are educated about the belief system. They know I reject Christianity and I am not pushy about it. I just challenge them to think about what they are told and if they have any questions to feel free to talk to me or my wife. My 7 YO yesterday was asking my wife about creation and her answer was "I think that god did it". His reply was, "but mom, magic isn't real". It took all my might to contain my smile and the look on her face was priceless. I also agree that you should go with them a few times so you can see for yourself what they are being told. Good luck.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
01-12-2014, 09:12 AM
I agree you should go with them and not be angry or pushy with your kid. In stead try asking age appropriate questions and make the kids think about why they are doing whatever.

The mega churches are like giant parties/concerts. It is easy to get sucked in, especially for kids.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
01-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I comend you for being a good open parent and allowing your kid to explore religion. That being said, religion can be toxic to reason and logic, so it's not always ideal for them especially if they are under peer pressure to assimilate church culture.

I would allow them to go to church. However, ask them to talk about what happened and have discussions pointing out the flaws. Additionally, ask them what they like about church itself, see what helps them enjoy church and see if you can find other activities for a substitute of church. I would suggest going to the church with your child and seeing what they preach and answering questions of your kid, but that seems to me a bit overprotective.
01-12-2014, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 09:19 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
I openly share my atheism with my children. My husband is a believer. So I understand wanting them to choose for themselves, many parents say they don't want to push their children one way or another. And I don't either - I see it as more of my children knowing me and who I am and learning the way I think and what my opinions are, just like on any other topic. I don't give religion a special pass and stand back and let it have its say while I am silent. I voice my ideas, opinions and evidences (or point out the lack of it). I express when I don't know an answer at the same time expressing that I know its not magic.

I don't fill in the blanks, but I don't stand adly by watching someone else do it either.

My job as a parent is education, I share what I know, on most everything.

I would limit the church visits to once a month.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
01-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Just watched a couple of the Dale McGowan videos. Thanks, good stuff.
[+] 1 user Likes mrpink's post
01-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Before letting them attend religious services, especially mega-church/pentecostal ones, educate them on what to expect: psychological/emotional manipulation.
Expose the tricks used in those places by those people.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post