kindness and charity make no sense in Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2016, 01:31 PM
kindness and charity make no sense in Christianity
Christians love to go on and on about all the supposed good there religion does setting aside the promotion of homophobia,Anti science,Anti medicine,ideas the worst offence of Christianity is that charity and kindness make no sense in there religion

Kindness makes no sense because Christians everyone is a debased monster then why should one debased monster be kind to another debased monster.I often stand in awe how Christians don't look at everyone with the contempt of a rapist.

Charity also makes no sense after all Jesus himself said there will always be destitute people. So there kindness according to there own god is in vain .This is made all the stranger when one considers that if the people there not helping died they would be in heaven were no such charity is needed .And lastly if Jesus is coming back to make the world perfect(contradicting the first stance) then charity again makes no sense .

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2016, 02:21 PM
RE: kindness and charity make no sense in Christianity
While I appreciate the sentiment expressed by your post, I think it paints Christian with a way to wide brush.

1) While it's true that Christianity has a long history of promotion of homophobia, sexism and scientific ignorance up to our days, many Christian chose not to follow or believe those specific things. In recent years, the largest Christian denomination have relaxed their stance on homosexuals and women. Today, this form of bigotry seems to be more associated with fundamentalists than the majority of Christians

2) The existence of a theological concept such as primordial sin and its exact nature (the thing that makes human monsters) is contencious in several Christian denomination. It's also good to know that this magic taint is erased by the magic power of baptism according to most Christian denomination.

3) Its not because a goal can never be achieved (or is very unlikely to be achieved anytime soon) that we shouldn't aspire to it. Fighting against one's nature is a core concept of most religion and secular philosophical schools and Christianity as whole doesn't make exception. Charity isn't vain, it's bold (and also necessary since charity is one of the cardinal Christian virtue).

4) The core value at the heart of all Christian denomination is hope. That's why Christianity is so diverse and contradictory. It rised to power by selling hope to those who had none in the form of divine justice and retribution. That those who were crushed by the rich and powerful would be retributed and rewarded in the end if they remained good, generous, polite pacific people; that they would enjoy and live prosperity at some point. Hope doesn't make sense. Its fundamentally illogical, frequently irrational and sometime stupid, counter productive and foolish. Yet, it has an enormous power of seduction that explained the strength of the Christian narrative and its hold on society even while its foundation are exposed as false. If you could kill hope with the truth, it wouldn't exist in the first place.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
12-10-2016, 02:26 PM
RE: kindness and charity make no sense in Christianity
(12-10-2016 01:31 PM)OrdoSkeptica Wrote:  Christians love to go on and on about all the supposed good there religion does setting aside the promotion of homophobia,Anti science,Anti medicine,ideas the worst offence of Christianity is that charity and kindness make no sense in there religion

Kindness makes no sense because Christians everyone is a debased monster then why should one debased monster be kind to another debased monster.I often stand in awe how Christians don't look at everyone with the contempt of a rapist.

Someones probably been hanging out with too many calvinist lately, regardless. Pointing out that we're selfish creatures, is not the same as suggesting we ought to be selfish creatures. Nor is recognizing that one is debased, a suggestion that we ought to remain debased. It's to indicate that in order for us to live right, to pursue what is good, we must recognize our moral frailty, and failing, those selfish desires and inclinations that cloud our pursuits.

The debased man in me, when seeing the hungry crack addict, feels contempt and disgust at who he is, but something else reveals that this is not the way I ought to be, that I should desire to help him, to feel compassion and empathy towards him, even when I can't muster it.

Quote:Charity also makes no sense after all Jesus himself said there will always be destitute people. So there kindness according to there own god is in vain .This is made all the stranger when one considers that if the people there not helping died they would be in heaven were no such charity is needed .And lastly if Jesus is coming back to make the world perfect(contradicting the first stance) then charity again makes no sense .

No, the christian in this regard doesn't see his own desire to help others, as to be a part of some grand project, doesn't help the poor, because he believes it would end poverty, because the later is a pipe dream. He helps the poor out of genuine concern and love for the poor, not for the pursuit of a grand project, or dead humanistic visions.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."