learning bear with me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
learning bear with me
Ok so recently there has been a lot of discussion (good and bad) in this forum. One of the things I got out of this is that I have almost no understanding of evolution outside of natural selection.

Is there more to evolution?

If so what a is it?

and remember that while google is my ally somethings I would enjoy having a different viewpoint upon.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2012, 06:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2012 07:00 PM by Phaedrus.)
RE: learning bear with me
In short:

Evolution is the change of allele frequencies within a population as described by population genetics, driven by natural selection, sexual selection, and genetic drift, with the raw genetic information that these processes act on being provided by random mutation in the organisms' genome through a variety of errors caused in DNA transcription in the organisms' gametes throughout its lifetime (also by ionizing radiation) and during meiosis. Genes are also reshuffled during sexual reproduction, allowing new combinations of existing traits. The epigenome also provides a source of novelty for evolution to act on; this is an area of active research.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
10-09-2012, 07:01 PM
^google is my ally (I'm so bad at this i have about 50 tabs open right now and more will appear) could you break it into bits. As I read i'll learn but i have trouble with the basic.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

10-09-2012, 07:02 PM
and i still don't see where all this energy stuff comes into it (unless it has no relevance)

10-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Heh, maybe it would work better to directly answer any specific questions you might have.

I'm fairly conversant in evolutionary theory; I considered a career in molecular biology before switching to electronics.

EDIT: And don't pay any mind to Bishadi's "energy" crap... He's just trolling.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
10-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Quote: Genes are also reshuffled during sexual reproduction, allowing new combinations of existing traits.

ok so I kinda understand the movement part, but can the new combks be something like a person had brown eyes and red hair into having "red" eyes and brown hair or am I being an idiot again?

10-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Ignorance =/= stupid

Shuffling like that doesn't happen. Are you familiar with punnet squares?

It's more like this:

Dad = Dominant brown eyes gene, recessive blue eyes gene, Phenotype = Brown eyes
Mom = Dominant brown eyes gene, recessive blue eyes gene, Phenotype = Brown eyes

They have four kids.

Kid 1 = Dominant brown eyes gene, Dominant brown eyes gene, Phenotype = Brown eyes
Kid 2 = Dominant brown eyes gene, recessive blue eyes gene, Phenotype = Brown eyes
Kid 3 = recessive blue eyes gene, Dominant brown eyes gene, Phenotype = Brown eyes
Kid 4 = recessive blue eyes gene, recessive blue eyes gene, Phenotype = Blue eyes

25% of the children had a trait completely different from the parents, because the parents genes were "shuffled" so to speak during reproduction, allowing otherwise repressed genes to express themselves. However, no DNA is actually mutated during these. Sexual reproduction just allows for the shuffling around of genes that are already present in the population. This provides the mechanism by which beneficial mutations may spread through a population.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
10-09-2012, 07:35 PM
ahh so my mom is, bluntly, brown. so if I'm white and my wife is white, there is still a chance for us to have a child who is brown as well?

10-09-2012, 07:41 PM
(10-09-2012 07:35 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  ahh so my mom is, bluntly, brown. so if I'm white and my wife is white, there is still a chance for us to have a child who is brown as well?

It depends. Skin colour is affected by not only one gene. It is a polygenic trait, which means that the additive effects of various genes contribute to the final phenotype of the organism. So, most likely your child will have white skin, but it is possible for your child to have a slightly darker skin tone.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
10-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Assuming you have the genes necessary, yes. You probably don't, since the genes for increased melanin in the skin are largely absent in the European and white American populations. But if you have a kid with a woman with those genes, then some of your kids may be whiter, some may be darker, or they may all be evenly mixed. Keep in mind, many traits like skin, hair, and eye color have multiple genes determining them.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.