learning bear with me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 10:19 AM
RE: learning bear with me
Ah shit i've hit edit by mistake instead of reply to one of your posts. Apologies Bishadi Frusty

Edit. It has been corrected, the post is only missing who you were quoting.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 10:19 AM
(10-09-2012 06:45 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Is there more to evolution?

If so what a is it?

More than what? What is your understanding that you think might need changing?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2012, 10:20 AM
(11-09-2012 10:02 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  ok next question, has anyone figured out the duckbilled platypus yet? Seriously, just Shocking

The platypus is a monotreme, a branch of mammalia that branched off from the lineage that would become placental and marsupial mammals. The oldest monotreme fossils are over 100 million years old, indicating that it was a very early branch. The inner ear is totally mammalian; however the construction of the jaw is very different from other mammals. It is currently a matter of debate whether the mammalian inner ear evolved first, and then monotremes branched off; or whether monotremes branched off and they and therian mammals evolved the inner ear independently. Regardless, monotremes like the platypus retain many features of ancient reptile-like mammals, but have evolved significantly since. They are, however, definitely mammalian.

The main problem with that platypus is that monotreme fossils are extremely rare, being found only on two (potentially three) continents: Australia and South America (and possibly Antarctica), those continents being joined when monotremes evolved. Due to the paucity of fossils the exact evolutionary history is unclear, but we do know from phylogenetic and genetic evidence what their general lineage is.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
11-09-2012, 10:21 AM
(11-09-2012 10:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-09-2012 06:45 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  Is there more to evolution?

If so what a is it?

More than what? What is your understanding that you think might need changing?

Not so much changing as understanding the inner workings. I can understand the easier bits like natural selection, but the gene re-arrangements are a bit harder.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
11-09-2012, 10:22 AM
RE: If, im 'trolling' then let's bait it up!
(11-09-2012 10:00 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  When the egg/sperm combine, both gene sets are sharing. Just the temperature (energy) of the environment, during the combining of sperm-egg, has been shown to affect the 'sex', in biology.

No the sex is decided by the presence or absence of the Y chromosome from the sperm.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-09-2012, 10:29 AM
(11-09-2012 10:21 AM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 10:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  More than what? What is your understanding that you think might need changing?

Not so much changing as understanding the inner workings. I can understand the easier bits like natural selection, but the gene re-arrangements are a bit harder.

Our knowledge of genetics is very recent; research and theory are advancing every day.

I suggest reading popular books and articles on evolution and genetics to get the basic ideas of mutation, gene expression and suppression, embryology, etc.

11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
There is of course not only physical evolution, which is very slow, but also social evolution, and even personal evolution.

Basically evolution is simply adaptation to the environment. And it will never end because the environment constantly changes, partially because it's components are undergoing evolution. And round and round it goes.

I really don't understand how anyone can refute evolution, it is so obvious on the more visible levels.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-09-2012, 01:02 PM
RE: If, im 'trolling' then let's bait it up!
(11-09-2012 10:22 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 10:00 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  When the egg/sperm combine, both gene sets are sharing. Just the temperature (energy) of the environment, during the combining of sperm-egg, has been shown to affect the 'sex', in biology.

No the sex is decided by the presence or absence of the Y chromosome from the sperm.

I believe he-who-shall-not-be-named was referring to studies of crocodile eggs, in which case the proportion of genders is affected by temperature. However this is due to the often hermaphroditic nature of reptiles, rather than, you know, magic energy pixie dust. Wink

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
11-09-2012, 02:40 PM
(11-09-2012 12:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  There is of course not only physical evolution, which is very slow, but also social evolution, and even personal evolution.

Basically evolution is simply adaptation to the environment. And it will never end because the environment constantly changes, partially because it's components are undergoing evolution. And round and round it goes.

I really don't understand how anyone can refute evolution, it is so obvious on the more visible levels.

It's not that people refute it, it's that they refuse it.

They refuse to look at the evidence because it simply mustn't be true.