learning sign language & new situations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2017, 07:28 PM
learning sign language & new situations
So I signed up for this Irish Sign Language (ISL) class.
Basically I have seen so many American Sign Language (ASL) videos on youtube and really love how deaf people are getting more content for entertainment out there on youtube. But I couldn't find that much for ISL and I found that kinda ... dunno sad? frustrating? Anyway I also heard about issues like ISL not being recognized as a language here which means a lot of problems with accessibilty at doctors/lawyers etc because deaf people don't have a right to get an interpreter. Anyway tons of issues. And as I love youtube, I thought I would like to make youtube videos in ISL. Just entertainment videos. Because most what I see ISL out there is political commentary etc or course material and like 5 or 6 songs interpreted. That is pretty much it.

So I thought I'd put some content out there.
Anyway that is why I signed up to the course.
Today was the first lesson and I am always unreasonably anxious with anything new. New places, new people, new anything - I really have an issue with it.
But actually I felt very comfortable at the deaf place. Mostly because it was very quiet and nobody was intruding on me (trying to talk or make conversation). So I really got my time to look and stuff. I am weird I know.

Anyway the lesson was very fun.
The teacher is deaf so for this first lesson there was an interpreter there. It was to tell a bit about deaf culture and history and such things. From next week onwards we won't have an interpreter anymore.

Today we learned the alphabet, the numbers 1-10, how are you, well, good, ok, tired, i know, i don't know, i understand, I don't understand, yes, no, thanks, please
i think that was it
I downloaded this app that has about 1000 words on it. So after I got home I wanted to take a short simple song (no tenses, etc) and see if I can find all the words.
Well not even close. I guess 1000 words are not enough. But I also could not find those words anywhere online. It is crazy how little material there is online for ISL. I am not even asking much. Simple words like "day" "end" "sunrise" "lonely" "life" etc. The app only has mostly nouns and only very few adjectives and almost no feelings etc.
Anyway I can already feel the frustration Big Grin I hope that throughout the course we will get some material to work with because I am a fast learner and I want to do things with the language I am learning.

We'll see I guess.

Anybody learned sign language? How did it go? How fast did you get conversational level?

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
30-01-2017, 07:42 PM
RE: learning sign language & new situations
I know two words in sign language.

But, they only require one finger....................

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
31-01-2017, 06:01 PM
oh I found a second app with more useful words in it and was able to find all words for "lonely day" by system of a down. Very proud of myself

31-01-2017, 06:34 PM
I dabbled in it once, thinking it would be easier than spoken languages (which I have a knack for). It's not Tongue. It's still on the to do list, just night high enough for me to get to lol.

There's a huge demand for Quebec Sign Language, however, to the point that they were recently offering scholarships and a guaranteed two years of work as an LSQ interpreter to anyone who'd agree to learn it in Montreal. Not sure if that's still the case.

'Murican Canadian
31-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Actually I wonder if there is some way for me to be certified enough to start working in the deaf community. I am originally from the child care sector. Wouldn't mind working with deaf kids. Or actual customer service in some way. Dunno if they have a type of "call center" with video chat or so, or so... or so (lol. my brain just farted)
Might be worth looking into once I have my first cert to see. I mean if it is still fun and wanna continue, I can certify higher and higher. Will see.

31-01-2017, 06:57 PM
I just know a few words. Middle finger aside. Tongue

A friend's parents were deaf, so she taught me a little -- gosh this was grammar school.

Long time good memories. Heart

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces