legality vs morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 09:23 AM
RE: legality vs morality
Hey, Shannow.

1 - I wish you all died: Not a crime
2 - I want to kill you: Uttering death threats - totally a crime
3 - Policing thoughts: That's some 1984 shit and it's scary as fuck. Don't even entertain it as a joke.

As a memeticist I have a different perspective of historical events. Memes are ideas, ways of thinking and doing. Every culture is made up of them. And different cultures have different memes that are in competition with one another. Black is beautiful is in competition with niggers are subhuman, gay pride is in competition with God hates fags and creationism is in competition with evolution. There are only so many minds in the world and so only so many places to store a meme. But humans also use external hard drives like books and paintings and the Internet. Book burnings, witch hunts, Inquisitions, the Killing Fields, you name it, they all have a single purpose; the purgation of competing memes. That is their ONLY purpose. Through the purgation of competing memes comes the increase in power of one's own memes.

This idea of policing thoughts is an extension of this old travesty. It is perverse in the extreme and can only lead to misery and, on a long enough time line, murder on an increasing scale.

The hardest thing in life is living next to someone who hates you. But punishing them for thought is utterly unconscionable.

Bigotry is. Thought police, on top of being a perversion, doesn't deal with the root cause.

Blacks, gays, women, minorities of all stripes, even Theists, have dealt with this issue for a very long time. Welcome to the party.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
18-02-2012, 10:48 PM
(10-02-2012 06:35 PM)Shannow Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  There can be no such thing as a thought crime. Freedom of thought is basic freedom.

Teaching critical thinking skills is not policing thought.

Chas - you're a 2 line Yoda! Nicely done...

Pure accident. Wink

Taking offense is the independent variable, therefore giving offense can be offenseless; threatening to kill someone is chemical context. The mind simulates and the monkey within responds, reading such things activates the doing of the musculature. Simulation ain't no joke, folk. Wink

But no. Morality trumps legality; being zero-state in America with the divine entitlement of unspecified psychosis? Yeah, that's double aught shit right there... 004. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2012, 12:00 AM
(10-02-2012 04:00 PM)Shannow Wrote:  IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO THINK SOMETHING....even VOCALIZING THOSE THOUGHTS isn't considered wrong. That kinda rocked my world...surely...the thoughts of the bigot highlighted above are wrong...we can all agree on that, right?

But then, we can't, or rather, shouldn't police thoughts & opinions. Should we?

Freely voicing your opinions, even opinions thought "hateful" or "bigoted", is a right that should always be protected. We'll never become less wrong as a society by censoring anybody, assuming that we have the same freedom to criticize their opinions.

I don't agree that the "bigot's" thoughts are wrong, they are merely in disagreement with mine (so they are only "wrong" from my subjective viewpoint). So it should be equally obvious that I wouldn't police his or anyone else's thoughts, unless by "police" you mean watch out for and rebut with reason.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2012, 07:55 PM
I am not Atheist, neither am I Christian.
I just was sitting in my chair at home and decided to type in 'legality vs. morality'.

I did this because often times they seem not to match. I am pretty damned cynical because I have seen plenty of reality manipulation by manipulation of words/thoughts/etc.

Anyways, I am absolutely against policing thoughts or words in any way shape or form. To me that goes against the 'right to free speech'. I live in America and if I want to say I want to kill christians, (or anybody else for that matter), then I should be able to......period...end of story....

But, on another level, once you begin to outlaw thoughts and words, the manipulation begins, as it always does with things that are made law. Next thing you know you won't even be able to say, "I wish all politicians would die". And, that is just absurd.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents.....
Find all posts by this user