lies or the truth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
RE: lies or the truth?
(24-11-2012 01:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Do you always tell the truth?

Or are there things you lie about?

Are there situations where you think a lie is more ethical than the truth?

And what is "truth" anyways?
I always try to tell the truth, because it's the most comfortable thing to do. Making up a lie is diffcult for me, I have a very literal, rigid mind that takes things at face value. Brutally honest, some call it. More than honest, not only I'll tell you the truth, but I'll have to stop myself from telling all the details and interesting highlights from history of that truth. If people ask open question, I know only one answer to that, the exhausting and exhaustive one. So I actually try to lie just to cut down the sheer weight of information. Didn't work this time, apparently.

Last time I really lied thoroughly was in my teens, about my smoking habit. My folks were a pair of anti-tobacco fascists and there would not only be ear-wrenching screaming (I am really sensitive to home moods), but also most severe punishments, including no money or tearing out the core of my being, the computer. Anyway, sneaking around five times a day like a secret saboteur agent in enemy base was stressful enough so I eventually stopped smoking.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
10-12-2012, 03:29 PM
(10-12-2012 03:21 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I always try to tell the truth, because it's the most comfortable thing to do. Making up a lie is diffcult for me, I have a very literal, rigid mind that takes things at face value. Brutally honest, some call it. More than honest, not only I'll tell you the truth, but I'll have to stop myself from telling all the details and interesting highlights from history of that truth. If people ask open question, I know only one answer to that, the exhausting and exhaustive one. So I actually try to lie just to cut down the sheer weight of information. Didn't work this time, apparently.
I kinda have the same thing - when telling a story I would go into all sorts of details and tangents, trying to paint a clear picture. I get it from my dad and call it the Tristram Shandy/Good Soldier Švejk syndrome... Wink

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
(08-12-2012 12:26 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I do have empathy. My grandfather was about 80 when he died a horrible death. His skin was actually turning black from lack of oxygen due to his failing heart. It hurt him if you just touched him. It was found that he also had a mass growing in one of his lungs and my family decided not to tell him or his wife (my grandmother). My grandmother did not want to let him go, nor did my mother. He did not need to drag on for a few years when there was no quality of life left. If people were truthful with both of them, he might not have had to suffer as much. I say this because of the extreme measures taken to keep him going. So, again me personally would want the truth even if it hurts like a bitch.
This does not demonstrate empathy.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
11-12-2012, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 03:26 PM by Luminon.)
(10-12-2012 03:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 03:21 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I always try to tell the truth, because it's the most comfortable thing to do. Making up a lie is diffcult for me, I have a very literal, rigid mind that takes things at face value. Brutally honest, some call it. More than honest, not only I'll tell you the truth, but I'll have to stop myself from telling all the details and interesting highlights from history of that truth. If people ask open question, I know only one answer to that, the exhausting and exhaustive one. So I actually try to lie just to cut down the sheer weight of information. Didn't work this time, apparently.
I kinda have the same thing - when telling a story I would go into all sorts of details and tangents, trying to paint a clear picture. I get it from my dad and call it the Tristram Shandy/Good Soldier Švejk syndrome... Wink
Oh, you know about Good Soldier Švejk, the jewel of my national literature and summation of the national character? Got to look at Tristram Shandy sometime too.
Actually, I think this is syndrome belongs a little bit more south, to Austria and to the Second world war, not first. I mean the doctor Hans Asperger. The syndrome seems to feature some really trigger-happy neurons that let way too much information through, so we have few social filters and get overwhelmed easily by the.. worldliness of the world. And yes, it's frequent in men and inherited from fathers. You might want to try some online test, I had score 127.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
(11-12-2012 03:21 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 03:29 PM)Vera Wrote:  I kinda have the same thing - when telling a story I would go into all sorts of details and tangents, trying to paint a clear picture. I get it from my dad and call it the Tristram Shandy/Good Soldier Švejk syndrome... Wink
Oh, you know about Good Soldier Švejk, the jewel of my national literature and summation of the national character? Got to read him again some time.
Actually, I think this is syndrome belongs a little bit more south, to Austria and to the Second world war, not first. I mean the doctor Hans Asperger. The syndrome seems to feature some really trigger-happy neurons that let way too much information through, so we have few social filters and get overwhelmed easily by the.. worldliness of the world. And yes, it's frequent in men and inherited from fathers.
Oh, you are Czech? Now, that was appropriate indeed. Actually, I haven't really read all of it (been meaning to forever), but my dad and my sister love it, so I grew up with people quoting it (incl. some of the more... direct lines, so to speakWink).

I only call it thus for giggles, as it is not really a psychological thing with me, but an inability to stick to the pertinent details in a story.

Had no idea something like this was part of Asperger's... actually I might have, but never did think about it. Thanks for pointing it out Thumbsup

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."