lingering emotioanl attachment to church/religion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2013, 03:29 PM
lingering emotioanl attachment to church/religion.
Hello everyone, I'm new here to this fourm. I have this dilema/situation... well I decided to check out the catholic church/catholicism since fall of 2009.. but I decided a year ago that it wasn't for me, but that only lasted a month and a half, then I went back!!! But now, being back almost a year, I just came to the conclusion that I don't agree with or believe in all their dogmas-no premarital sex, their stance on contraception, etc etc etc.. and they always want money.... and after listening to George Carlin a few weeks ago.... that was the last straw for me as far as being catholic goes....

So my dilema/problem is- I kind of still like going to Mass and saying some of the prayers!!! Am I crazy or what's wrong with me? I don't believe in none of it anymore really. I'd say I'm an agnostic-borderline atheist.

But I've decided that now I'll only go to Mass 1-2 days a week... and I also found an atheist meetup group and recovering from religon group in my area!!! And last Saturday I went to my first atheist outreach group at Balboa park here in San Diego...

Any other ex/recovering catholics here?

What should I do as far as my still wanting to go to mass and pray?

Thanks...

Jason
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2013, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2013 04:28 PM by Anjele.)
RE: lingering emotioanl attachment to church/religion.
There is a lot of ceremony to the Catholic mass, a lot of music and pagentry and in some churches it is quite impressive to see.
If you decided to become a Catholic just a few years ago you sure jumped in with both feet. You say you are going to cut back to 1-2 days a week, how often were you going? As a full-fledged Catholic attending Catholic schools that was how often I was going.
If you are now an Agnostic/Atheist, what, may I ask, are you praying to? That's a puzzler for me.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
21-02-2013, 03:46 PM
I guess I'm just praying out of habbit lol.... almost for the placebo effect.... but I've stopped praying the rosary for the most part!!!!! And I've stopped going to confession as wel....and I was going to Mass just about every single day....
21-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Again, my question is how did you get so deep so fast.
I saw older people that went to mass multiple days a week as did the clergy but not so much the general population.
How old were you when in 2009 when the Catholic church overtook your whole being? Did you not have anything else in your life? Was this for a girl/guy?
Seriously...in just over three years you went from a non-Catholic to a nut-case Catholic, to your version of Catholic light (that is still extreme) blended with a dash of "I don't believe any of this".
Are you really Ego®?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
21-02-2013, 05:00 PM
well I got involved with a catholic charismatic spanish prayer group when I first started going in 2009.. then I discovered catholic tv-EWTN and catholic radio-catholic answers... both are nut-case catholics.......
21-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Try reading about their child molestation and subsequent coverups, or their anti-condom stance that has caused thousands of deaths due to AIDs in Africa, or the Inquisition and witch burning. The main reason I deconverted from catholicism was because of reasons such as these and others besides.

Mea mihi conscientia pluris est quam omnium sermo
21-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Another ex-Catholic "Jason" in SD. How many of us are there ? Weeping
Dump it. There are better uses for your time, and if you like rituals and art and music, MUCH better ways to deal with that.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
21-02-2013, 07:16 PM
(21-02-2013 03:29 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  ... their stance on contraception....
Sorry, I misread that as, "their stance on constipation". Tongue
(21-02-2013 03:29 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  What should I do as far as my still wanting to go to mass and pray?
Stop going. I have to think you might be just attracted to the ritual but it's also possible you have an addictive personality. Either way, you may just need to replace your "mass time" with something equally ritualistic that you can obsess on.

If you want something structured or something that helps you to feel useful, collect cans for money, go to a museum or zoo and become a volunteer guide, get touch with your county extension office where they can provide you with a list of ongoing city or community projects in your area so you can volunteer, go to your city recreation & park services and volunteer your time to help with the many projects they have... there is also Big Brothers Big Sisters - they always need good people to just spend time with a kid.

You can do a lot more for yourself and others if you aren't just sitting in a big room pretending to talk to someone who's not there.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-02-2013, 07:19 PM
(21-02-2013 07:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Another ex-Catholic "Jason" in SD. How many of us are there ? Weeping
Dump it. There are better uses for your time, and if you like rituals and art and music, MUCH better ways to deal with that.

I know... my first thought was: There's 2 of them?! Tongue

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-02-2013, 07:47 PM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2013 07:53 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(21-02-2013 07:16 PM)kim Wrote:  Sorry, I misread that as, "their stance on constipation". Tongue

Yes. The new papal encyclical, "Contra Constipationium, et Supergestus Viscera est Nonsancto et Foetidum" will no doubt be Benny's last, yet greatest work, and most well known Papal Bull of the century, and eagerly awaited mostly by the elderly in his church.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin