link to slavery in the secession during civil war

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 03:51 PM
link to slavery in the secession during civil war
I had a great link but I can't find it now. I had it saved on my phone but I guess I lost it when I got a new one. I was looking for the section where it states that the south wanted to keep slaves and make the other states obey their laws of the states when it came to slavery. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2016, 04:24 PM
RE: link to slavery in the secession during civil war
Confederate constitution

Article 1, section 9(4): No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

And in the speech about the secession of the state of Alabama:

"We have dissolved the late Union chiefly because of the negro quarrel. Now, is there any man who wished to reproduce that strife among ourselves? And yet does not he, who wished the slave trade left for the action of Congress, see that he proposed to open a Pandora's box among us and to cause our political arena again to resound with this discussion. Had we left the question unsettled, we should, in my opinion, have sown broadcast the seeds of discord and death in our Constitution. I congratulate the country that the strife has been put to rest forever, and that American slavery is to stand before the world as it is, and on its own merits. We have now placed our domestic institution, and secured its rights unmistakably, in the Constitution. We have sought by no euphony to hide its name. We have called our negroes 'slaves', and we have recognized and protected them as persons and our rights to them as property."

They were pretty clear about it.
13-06-2016, 04:24 PM
(13-06-2016 03:51 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I had a great link but I can't find it now. I had it saved on my phone but I guess I lost it when I got a new one. I was looking for the section where it states that the south wanted to keep slaves and make the other states obey their laws of the states when it came to slavery. Thanks

Most atheists blame Christians for slavery in toto which is a very slanted view of history to me.
13-06-2016, 04:27 PM
(13-06-2016 04:24 PM)natachan Wrote:  Confederate constitution

Article 1, section 9(4): No bill of attainder, ex post facto law, or law denying or impairing the right of property in negro slaves shall be passed.

And in the speech about the secession of the state of Alabama:

"We have dissolved the late Union chiefly because of the negro quarrel. Now, is there any man who wished to reproduce that strife among ourselves? And yet does not he, who wished the slave trade left for the action of Congress, see that he proposed to open a Pandora's box among us and to cause our political arena again to resound with this discussion. Had we left the question unsettled, we should, in my opinion, have sown broadcast the seeds of discord and death in our Constitution. I congratulate the country that the strife has been put to rest forever, and that American slavery is to stand before the world as it is, and on its own merits. We have now placed our domestic institution, and secured its rights unmistakably, in the Constitution. We have sought by no euphony to hide its name. We have called our negroes 'slaves', and we have recognized and protected them as persons and our rights to them as property."

They were pretty clear about it.

Thanks do u have a link where it came from?
13-06-2016, 04:28 PM
While not in total, Christianity was used to justify slavery in the US. It was also used to control black slaves. One of the most disgusting pieces of poetry I have ever read comes from that particular blight.

Edit: YEah, from the Wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederat...on#Slavery
13-06-2016, 04:30 PM
(13-06-2016 04:24 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 03:51 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I had a great link but I can't find it now. I had it saved on my phone but I guess I lost it when I got a new one. I was looking for the section where it states that the south wanted to keep slaves and make the other states obey their laws of the states when it came to slavery. Thanks

Most atheists blame Christians for slavery in toto which is a very slanted view of history to me.

Citation required

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
13-06-2016, 04:32 PM
(13-06-2016 04:30 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 04:24 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Most atheists blame Christians for slavery in toto which is a very slanted view of history to me.

Citation required

Up your A hole with your citation.
13-06-2016, 04:42 PM
(13-06-2016 04:24 PM)carusmm Wrote:  

A hundred years later, but my Grandmother used to talk about how God had the made negros as slaves. Christian churches quoted Bible texts to show that keeping the black people in slavery was part of God's plan too.
13-06-2016, 08:14 PM
(13-06-2016 04:32 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 04:30 PM)unfogged Wrote:  Citation required

Up your A hole with your citation.
Banned and good riddance.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
13-06-2016, 08:31 PM
(13-06-2016 08:14 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 04:32 PM)carusmm Wrote:  Up your A hole with your citation.
Banned and good riddance.

I figured he would.