lol pretty cool: whale mimics human voice

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: lol pretty cool: whale mimics human voice
In fact, please refer back to the original thread, so we don't derail further.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2012, 04:19 PM
And the whale said, doo do doo da doo

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
26-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Shamelessly stolen from Muffs:

[Image: ef1c2170-232a-4ec4-b48e-c14edb109753.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
27-10-2012, 02:40 AM
(25-10-2012 02:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-10-2012 02:54 PM)Leela Wrote:  yep, we are

All right.

Your floor.

Explain to me why the story is invalid simply because it came from Foxnews.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid192128

about still waiting bro... it was the middle of the night. Be patient, young padawan.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2012, 05:02 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 05:16 AM by Lilith Pride.)
This article seems like a total farce. It's covered by an array of news sources that all use the same audio clip with still images. What kind of video eveidence is that? The largest issue to me is this is a whale with ties to a group of people. Also, the whale in question died in 1999 so why is this apparently a breaking story? NOC, the whale who is supposedly recorded which seems somewhat legit (though I'm pretty skeptical still), was being studied by the navy marine mammal program. A group seeking the benifits of militarized marine life. By their own admission that this particular whale was not being trained to do so I'd think others were being trained to do so. I've heard plenty of trained animals emit human like speech. I've also heard cats without any training manage the same feat by accident. After listening to beluga whales for a little while I find the sounds on that recording very unlikely to be from them. Seriously though my main question on this is why is this being reported now? The story is over a decade old.

My best guess is that this program is producing less than stellar results and has leaked a story to the media to gain some acclaim. There's no real basis to argue about which station the "video" came from, there's a bunch of sources wth really bad info out there. Didn't actually see an article attached to the fox video though.

Here's Fox & Friends stating it's just a fluke. I can't seem to find an actual written article on it, but I don't know hw to navigate the page. They don't mention at all that this recording is nowhere close to new. Just that fact makes it seem really awkward that there's been so much news coverage over this. I didn't find looking into this to make me any less skeptical, though my cursory checks didn't come up with the actual answer. Someone is spinning something.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Here is a segment that has the video and talks about it from the Today show. The sounds and original finding of it is old but somehow came to fruition now. They actually talked to the people who dealt with the whale.

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/4...3#49516233

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-10-2012, 06:06 AM
That video has slightly better info, though from what Ive read the whale died well before 5 years ago. It's really not a story I care to go too far into. Thanks for the slightly better link Clyde.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-10-2012, 09:19 AM
that whale was actually mimicing me after i've had too much to drink.. just listen closely.. perfect mimic!

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
27-10-2012, 09:51 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2012 01:22 PM by kingschosen.)
Edit: never mind. Got mixed up who was speaking.