looking to improve = spelling/gramer and other

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
basically It has come to my attention serveral times that my online presence{whether it is nice or not} has been describe of that of an 8 year old. sorry but I have been getting complaints for a long time. no problem I'll just get more educated and better skills.... right???? problem being is the fact that I have no clue what to do from there. in fact i would buy a coerce pn gramer and spelling but at this point there is to much competing for my money as it is{all $40 a month of iy}. so I have no clue what to do. any advise on ho wto improve the following would be appreciated.

1. grammar
2. spelling{both so i can edit my book}
3. self reliance
4. critical thinking{so I don't believe everything iI hear. yes I am way to trusting.}
5. learning Japanese{just for fun and so i can watch none dubed anime in piece.}
6. attention span

p.s, plus anything that you will think will help.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
RE: looking to improve = spelling/gramer and other
(11-11-2012 09:28 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  basically It has come to my attention serveral times that my online presence{whether it is nice or not} has been describe of that of an 8 year old. sorry but I have been getting complaints for a long time. no problem I'll just get more educated and better skills.... right???? problem being is the fact that I have no clue what to do from there. in fact i would buy a coerce pn gramer and spelling but at this point there is to much competing for my money as it is{all $40 a month of iy}. so I have no clue what to do. any advise on ho wto improve the following would be appreciated.

1. grammar
2. spelling{both so i can edit my book}
3. self reliance
4. critical thinking{so I don't believe everything iI hear. yes I am way to trusting.}
5. learning Japanese{just for fun and so i can watch none dubed anime in piece.}
6. attention span

p.s, plus anything that you will think will help.
The best things to do for improving spelling, grammar, vocabulary, punctuation, and writing are, in order:
  1. Read
  2. Read good writers
  3. Read more

For critical thinking, good argumentation, and all of the previous, I strongly urge reading the works of Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens. Of course, there are many others to read, as well.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
11-11-2012, 09:35 PM
(11-11-2012 09:28 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  basically It has come to my attention serveral times that my online presence{whether it is nice or not} has been describe of that of an 8 year old.

Fuck it, use it to pretend you're stupid and then pounce. I've seen the tactic used by many smart as all fuck Southern Gals with impressive results.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Not sure if this is a feature in all browsers, but at least in Firefox there is a built in spell check (either that or it's part of the forum) If you see a word underlined in red, right click the word and a list of words that you might be trying to type will pop up. Choose the correct word. Over time, this could probably help your spelling.

Also, if it isn't too personal, several questions that could lead to better advice from people:

What country do you live in?
Are you currently in school?
Is English your native language?
If you aren't in school, how old are you?
I have seen you post a couple of times, that improving your spelling and grammar would cost money. Why do you think that?

If English is not your native language, you could try watching these videos from The Daily English Show, the woman who was making the videos does not seem to be making them any more, but there are hundreds of videos that you can watch, and learn a bit of English along the way. Even if English is your native language, you might get some use out of the videos.

You could also try doing the lessons on this ESL (English as a Second Language) site. I'm not sure if this is only about listening to and speaking English better, so if it is, it might not be as useful.

Another tip, slow down, and take a little more time when constructing your posts. Going back over what you have written, and even reading aloud what you have written can help you spot mistakes and spelling errors. (Although, if English is not your native language, this might be a lot harder to do. Still, slowing down a bit can't hurt.)

Contribute to the Community Resource!
[+] 3 users Like Near's post
11-11-2012, 11:49 PM
As far as spelling goes, you could try dictionary.com. When it comes to spelling you need to look at context, because proper usage is important too. too = also or too much of something. to = I am going to a movie.
12-11-2012, 12:27 AM
livemocha.com

Free to use, and very helpful. It requires writing assignments, tests your vocabulary, grammar, and how well you pronounce the words. Work is usually graded by native speakers of the language you're using. This is how I learned the majority of the German that I know. I will be happy to grade your work if you provide your username. Don't be too hard on yourself, English is the result of a mass orgy of languages, and thus can be pretty stupid. Germanic language with heavy influences from Latin, and French. What could go wrong?

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
12-11-2012, 12:39 AM
You might begin by correcting the title of your post. Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-11-2012, 08:10 AM
(12-11-2012 12:39 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You might begin by correcting the title of your post. Smile
Flag on the play - unnecessary roughness. Excl

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Make a little more effort? You'd be surprised how much fixing your punctuation and capitalisation will make your posts more readable.
Break up your post into sentences. Start every new sentence with a capital letter. Don't use multiple punctuation marks. Don't write in the same way that you speak. Use complete sentences. While it might be perfectly acceptable to say: "no problem I'll just get more educated and better skills.... right????", you should make the effort to write it properly: "No problem. I'll just get more educated and improve my skills, right?"
You don't actually have any spelling mistakes in that sentence, but proper punctuation makes it a lot more readable.

People might just be writing you off because your posts aren't readable. Make an effort and you will find your online presence a lot more appreciated.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 3 users Like Smooshmonster's post
12-11-2012, 01:35 PM
If your posts are short enough, PM them to me first and I can correct them.

This will obviously kill the opportunity for spontaneous retort but by studying the corrections, and remembering them, you might get some benefit.

(Aside: I checked my spelling and grammar twice for this post because I know a few pedants will be watching and waiting.)

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post