looking to improve = spelling/gramer and other

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: looking to improve = spelling/gramer and other
(12-11-2012 09:03 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  You'd be surprised how much fixing your punctuation and capitalisation will make your posts more readable.
Heart

Don't know about grammar, but it seems like punctuation is in the throes of a painful death. I had to translate a book in which nearly all questions ended with a full stop, while a lot of declarative sentences ended with a question mark. And quotation marks is obliviously a dirty word (or two dirty wordsWink). Drove me half crazy!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Im not one to talk.... its more laziness more than anything with me. However I did a quick google search and found this.

http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/learning
http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/grammar

Which looks quite interesting. Id also agree with every other bit of advice given up to now Thumbsup

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
What country do you live in?=America
Are you currently in school?=no
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Is English your native language?=yes{actually when I talk to people v.s. type things out. people find me to be quite articulate.[/font]
If you aren't in school, how old are you?="28"
I have seen you post a couple of times, that improving your spelling and grammar would cost money. Why do you think that?= no clue I mean I've looked and all I find is pay solutions.{in other words pay me and tthen i will teach you.}

p.s. I am woring on answering you guys give me a sec.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
(12-11-2012 12:27 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  livemocha.com

Free to use, and very helpful. It requires writing assignments, tests your vocabulary, grammar, and how well you pronounce the words. Work is usually graded by native speakers of the language you're using. This is how I learned the majority of the German that I know. I will be happy to grade your work if you provide your username. Don't be too hard on yourself, English is the result of a mass orgy of languages, and thus can be pretty stupid. Germanic language with heavy influences from Latin, and French. What could go wrong?
I defonitely need to use this site then.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
[+] 1 user Likes kunoxian drive's post
12-11-2012, 02:37 PM
(12-11-2012 02:05 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 12:27 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  livemocha.com

Free to use, and very helpful. It requires writing assignments, tests your vocabulary, grammar, and how well you pronounce the words. Work is usually graded by native speakers of the language you're using. This is how I learned the majority of the German that I know. I will be happy to grade your work if you provide your username. Don't be too hard on yourself, English is the result of a mass orgy of languages, and thus can be pretty stupid. Germanic language with heavy influences from Latin, and French. What could go wrong?
I defonitely need to use this site then.
Using spell-check would help tremendously as well. I am not particularly great at spelling either, so this is a tool I utilize often. I would look like a dunce as well without it. Some folks just suck at spelling, and grammar, though that does not mean you're incapable of getting better. If you look at some of my past posts I am sure you could find plenty of mistakes.

12-11-2012, 03:12 PM
(12-11-2012 02:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 02:05 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I defonitely need to use this site then.
Using spell-check would help tremendously as well. I am not particularly great at spelling either, so this is a tool I utilize often. I would look like a dunce as well without it. Some folks just suck at spelling, and grammar, though that does not mean you're incapable of getting better. If you look at some of my past posts I am sure you could find plenty of mistakes.

I hate to counter my wise and learned, oxymoronic friend, but I would like to suggest the opposite.

I stopped using spell-checker a couple of years ago (on my laptop but not my phone) and my spelling has improved. Spell-check made me lazy. So has using a calculator.

12-11-2012, 03:17 PM
(12-11-2012 01:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If your posts are short enough, PM them to me first and I can correct them.

This will obviously kill the opportunity for spontaneous retort but by studying the corrections, and remembering them, you might get some benefit.

(Aside: I checked my spelling and grammar twice for this post because I know a few pedants will be watching and waiting.)

Curses! Foiled again! Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-11-2012, 03:55 PM
(12-11-2012 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 01:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  If your posts are short enough, PM them to me first and I can correct them.

This will obviously kill the opportunity for spontaneous retort, but by studying the corrections, and remembering them, you might get some benefit.

(Aside: I checked my spelling and grammar twice for this post because I know a few pedants will be watching and waiting.)

Curses! Foiled again! Angry

You both suck.
Convention calls for a comma after "retort."

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
12-11-2012, 04:18 PM
(12-11-2012 03:12 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 02:37 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Using spell-check would help tremendously as well. I am not particularly great at spelling either, so this is a tool I utilize often. I would look like a dunce as well without it. Some folks just suck at spelling, and grammar, though that does not mean you're incapable of getting better. If you look at some of my past posts I am sure you could find plenty of mistakes.

I hate to counter my wise and learned, oxymoronic friend, but I would like to suggest the opposite.

I stopped using spell-checker a couple of years ago (on my laptop but not my phone) and my spelling has improved. Spell-check made me lazy. So has using a calculator.
Hmm...well I hate to counter my initialed friend, but it is apparent that he is not using spell-check, and look where it has got him. Smile

For me it allowed to to see where I was screwing up at. You have no idea how long I thought "alot" was a word. If I don't know I'm doing it wrong, I cannot correct myself. I guess just do whatever works for you.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
12-11-2012, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 09:58 PM by Atothetheist.)
The way I wrote is peculiar because I never knew English until I was eight. Granted, some words were used in Russian, but very few of them were heavily influenced by English. I was basically going in blind on a Laguage I had no idea existed.

Of course I am better at speaking, writing, and analyzing the English language but I struggle a lot on some of the more complicated words. I think that if I could do it, you surely can. I would start with grammar, because it's more important to get your message across to the person comprehensibly than to spell words right.

But that just might be bad advice.

I look at your posts and the biggest thing to strike me is your capitalization. I suggest you work on that first and then read tons of books, you should notice the patterns of sentence structure from the people that make it their living.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post