looking to improve = spelling/gramer and other

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2012, 09:44 PM
RE: looking to improve = spelling/gramer and other
(12-11-2012 09:42 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 07:42 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  *Scrolling down the first page*

I bet I'll find DLJ in here somewhe- AHA!!! I knew that crazy bastard couldn't resist a good grammar lesson. lol

Not my fault!

It was the cult in which I was raised.
Who insinuated that it was a "fault"? Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
12-11-2012, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 10:16 PM by Near.)
(12-11-2012 02:02 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  What country do you live in?=America
Are you currently in school?=no
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Is English your native language?=yes{actually when I talk to people v.s. type things out. people find me to be quite articulate.[/font]
If you aren't in school, how old are you?="28"
I have seen you post a couple of times, that improving your spelling and grammar would cost money. Why do you think that?= no clue I mean I've looked and all I find is pay solutions.{in other words pay me and tthen i will teach you.}

p.s. I am woring on answering you guys give me a sec.
Thank you for answering my questions, I now have a few more questions that I would like to ask. Again, if they are too personal, then don't feel the need to answer them.

Since you live in America, I am assuming that you went to school here. Did you struggle in school with your English classes?
This is a pay solution, but it might be worth it. Depending on where you live, you may be close to a community college. Have you ever considered taking an Reading/Writing class?
Since English is your native language, some of the suggestions that I gave may be too low of a level for you.

This question is the most personal one, and if it's too personal, of if you find it insulting, please don't feel obligated to answer.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any sort of learning disability, or do you feel that you have one? If yes, then it is probably way out of our league to give you any real help. If not, then writing may not be your strong point.

The good thing is, you are showing and interest and initiative in trying to sort out a problem that you recognize in yourself. I have always found that that is the most important part. If you don't care, or don't take the time, you will not sort out your problem.

Some more basic tips:

Always begin a sentence with a capital letter.
Always end a sentence or thought with the appropriate punctuation (.?!)
Do not use extraneous punctuation. (More than one ! or ?)
Look up words that you don't know. (An easy way to do that is to type "define X" into your search bar, where X is the word you don't know.)
Observe how other people write on the forum. You can learn a lot from observing.
Try keeping a journal of your activities for the day. (Probably best to do this on the computer, because you will likely use the same writing style as you do on the forum.) Go back after a week of this and reread what you have written. If you have a hard time understanding what you meant, try to see why you don't understand it, and try to correct those problems in the future.

A repeat of previous tips:

Read over, or read aloud to yourself, the thing that you are thinking of posting before you post it.
Utilize spell checking, to help catch obvious mistakes.
Read a lot, and read good authors.

I also have another idea if you are interested.

I will give you a topic, and you write me three paragraphs on it. Send me what you have written, and I will correct any mistakes I see, and give you tips on things that you can do to improve. We can do this as many times as you like, or you can try this with any other member who is interested.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
12-11-2012, 10:00 PM
(12-11-2012 09:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 09:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  You see, Kunoxian? No one is perfect (except Chas).

No Wrong.

So very wrong. On the scale of wrongness, ...
If you're wrong... I don't wanna be right. Wink Tongue

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree...read, read, and read some more...read anything and everything.

Also, use a dictionary. You don't even have to buy one there are dictionaries available free online.

I commend you on wanting to improve yourself.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
13-11-2012, 06:13 PM
kunoxian drive:

I'll second what some of the previous posters wrote:

First, congratulations on (1) recognizing the problem and (2) wanting to do something about it. Those are two indispensible steps in the right direction.

Second, reading good writing is an excellent way to improve. You'll be exposed to correct forms, and at least some of them will sink in unconsciously just through the constant exposure.

Last, get in the habit of proofreading your stuff thoroughly, at least once, before you hit "Send" or "Post." You'll be surprised at what you'll catch. And you'll be able to catch errors because you know more than you think you do. For example, in your OP you misspelled "grammar," and yet you also had it spelled correctly, which indicates to me you know the right way and would have caught the error if you had looked carefully. In another post, you wrote "woring" when you meant "working." There's no way you don't know how to spell that word! That's an example of an avoidable error you can catch when you proof what you wrote.

Good luck!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
13-11-2012, 06:50 PM
i answer near tomorrow but until then night guys.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
18-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Another tip, based on reading this thread: stop using the = sign. Just, don't use it unless you're doing math or something. It is not a part of standard English except in very specific applications.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-11-2012, 11:26 AM
looking to improve = spelling/gramer and other
(18-11-2012 11:19 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Another tip, based on reading this thread: stop using the = sign. Just, don't use it unless you're doing math or something. It is not a part of standard English except in very specific applications.

^^^ = a good idea!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel