maintaining motivation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 09:04 AM
maintaining motivation
I'm going through a dip and I was wondering what motivates you?

What's your cause?

What makes you overcome adversity?

When times are rough and life doesn't seem like it's worth the fight, what keeps you keeping on?

Why do you fight?

Why do you live?

Why do you try?

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2014, 09:34 AM
RE: maintaining motivation
When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be about motivation for like, working out or something. That, I kind of suck at.

Motivation for living though?
It's the little things; normal activities like watching something funny on TV, wearing something that makes me feel pretty, getting compliments, holding the elevator open for someone and getting a relieved thank you, baking something delicious (banana bread's in the oven right now!), learning something new, chatting with my mom over skype...

I dunno, my life has never so bleak that I'd say id didn't want to live (ignoring angsty high school times when I thought that but didn't really mean it.... Are you in high school? No offense, just my comments might be a little different, like "it gets better" kind of stuff).

I overcome adversity and try hard because I have a pretty strong desire to be good at whatever it is I do. I guess that's just internal motivation... I don't like failing, so I put in some effort. Unless it's exercising, I kind of suck at maintaining that routine.

Otherwise, I'm selfish enough to tell other people to suck it when I'm after something I want! Big Grin

Anyway I hope you find something to motivate you, too. Focus on the good Thumbsup

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
07-05-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm twenty one.

I'm ussually pretty motivated but this is the first time that my lack of motivation has been so low.

Thank you for your comment Smile

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
07-05-2014, 10:10 AM
(07-05-2014 09:04 AM)elconquistador Wrote:  I'm going through a dip and I was wondering what motivates you?

What's your cause?

When times are rough and life doesn't seem like it's worth the fight, what keeps you keeping on?

Why do you fight?

Why do you live?

Why do you try?

If I can't get motivated to do something, I first wonder whether I actually want to do it and why or why not. Maybe I should just avoid it. Maybe get it over with. Maybe find an alternative I like better. Some things just get postponed until they fall off the list. Tongue

Adversity is adventure and challenge. It's fun to find a way out of it - usually by thinking outside the box.

Little pleasures make each day enjoyable, whether times are rough or not. There are always little pleasures to be had.

I don't fight. I don't see it as a fight. It's more of a journey, an adventure.

I live because I was born? Do you mean why don't I kill myself? Still too many pleasures to be had, and too many things to explore.

When I try, I learn, advance myself and end up in a better place. That makes trying enjoyable.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-05-2014, 10:25 AM
(07-05-2014 09:04 AM)elconquistador Wrote:  I'm going through a dip and I was wondering what motivates you?

What's your cause?

Why do you fight?

Why do you live?

Why do you try?

Why do I live? Because I wake up every morning. Eventually my tummy starts growling or I have to pee and that gets me out of bed. Well, thats after the kids come in for a good morning hug and snuggle.

I tend not to fight with others-- If someone is causing serious distress in my life--I cut them out of it. I stop associating with them. I get a new job, move away, find new friends, go to a new place. If they are minor annoyances, I usually just avoid that person for a day, a week, a month till I just forget about whatever the issue was. I don't have time for grudges or holding on to past offenses. I got other things I would rather spend my time on. I've watched people who couldn't let go of past anger be destroyed by things they couldn't change that happened 50 years earlier, and they weren't all that big of deal the first time around.

I think there comes a point in maturity when you realize that your own happiness is something that you have to protect, and nurture and care for. There will always be shitty people in this world- you have the choice to deal with them or ignore them and walk away. You don't have to fight every battle, you don't have to challenge every thing. Its a choice. Some of us choose to be happy over everything else.

Now....if this a slump that you can't put your finger on for a cause....life just sucks...then I would get in to see a psych doctor. Depression is a chemical imbalance....when the chemicals get out of whack you feel like shit.....kind of like diabetes in that its just chemicals not being the right level. It doesn't mean you are weak, or you have mental issues, it means there is a chemical problem...nothing more, nothing less.

I hope you find happiness soon.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
07-05-2014, 01:30 PM
I go through dips from time to time and the non-specific ones suck. When the issue is known dealing with them is fairly straight forward, even if not always easy. When I have the mentally I feel like crap and have no idea why I tend to look for a reason and if no reason is found it take the "head down, one foot in front the other, there is an end to this mess if I keep moving" approach. Eventually I find the reason or my mood improves.