many universes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 12:10 PM
many universes?
Hello Imm currently reading Stephen Hawking's the grand design I think the name is purposely trying to troll Christians. Anyway I am at the point where he talks about the double slit experiment which could mean that there are many universes. But I tend to be skeptical about it. Although I like the Idea of a universe where I am the ruler of the worldEvil_monster. but what do you think millions of worlds yay or nay?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sneering imperialist's post
06-03-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: many universes?
I'm an agnostic on it, I don't think there's compelling evidence for it, but there's no way to definitively say there is or isn't, so I'll settle on "unknown at this time".

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
06-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Not picking on you SI, but I have always found the idea of multi-universes a contradiction in semantics.

Universe = Uni (one), everything

Perhaps beyond our detectable limits lie other areas that can also be traced to a singularity, but if so they are but a subset of the thing known as the universe.

It is like saying, "this is everything...except for that over there". Then it isn't everything now is it?

End mini-rant, please carry on.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
06-03-2017, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 04:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
It is completely counterintuitive and ridiculous on its face. That means it's probably right if the quantum quants have shown us anything, The wiki on it is good.

"In Dublin in 1952, Erwin Schrödinger gave a lecture in which he jocularly warned his audience that what he was about to say might 'seem lunatic'. He said that, when his Nobel equations seemed to describe several different histories, these were 'not alternatives, but all really happen simultaneously'. "

Wonder whatever happened to dude's cat. Is it still simultaneously dead and alive? Or did Eddie's simultaneous death and not death cause a monstrous tidal wave function collapse rip in time that sucked poor little kitty in the resulting time vortex?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-03-2017, 12:59 PM
(06-03-2017 12:26 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I'm an agnostic on it, I don't think there's compelling evidence for it, but there's no way to definitively say there is or isn't, so I'll settle on "unknown at this time".

A few years ago at a Perimeter Institute lecture Dr Roger Penrose who, using the WMAP image, showed that there actually is some evidence for a multiverse.

I can't seem to find the Youtube link with the lecture in question (if I happen upon it I'll post it) but here's a brief summation of what Penrose found: Penrose claims to have glimpsed universe before Big Bang

A multiverse looks to be a natural outgrowth of inflation theory which looks to be a good description of the early universe. Source: Our Universe May Exist in a Multiverse, Cosmic Inflation Discovery Suggests

All that said, it's still early days when it comes to multiverse/M-theory etc and, frankly, the science behind all this is way above my pay grade.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
06-03-2017, 01:52 PM
Not my area of expertise.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-03-2017, 03:24 PM
(06-03-2017 12:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It is completely counterintuitive and ridiculous on its surface. That means it's probably right if the quantum quants have shown us anything, The wiki on it is good.

"In Dublin in 1952, Erwin Schrödinger gave a lecture in which he jocularly warned his audience that what he was about to say might 'seem lunatic'. He said that, when his Nobel equations seemed to describe several different histories, these were 'not alternatives, but all really happen simultaneously'. "

Wonder whatever happened to dude's cat. Is it still simultaneously dead and alive? Or did Eddie's simultaneous death and not death cause a monstrous tidal wave function collapse rip in time that sucked poor little kitty in the resulting time vortex?

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=DChcS...IJw&adurl=

I think they thought they may see evidence in the Wilkenson Microwave Anisotrophy Probe. They didn't. But it's possible, I think.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20141110-...t-the-sky/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-03-2017, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 03:53 PM by Thoreauvian.)
I personally think the parallel universe speculations are almost a reductio ad absurdum of simply not understanding enough yet of why this universe is the specific way it is. Huh Now that we know dark matter and dark energy are out there, and play such a big role in how the universe behaves, all previous bets are off.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
06-03-2017, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2017 06:52 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-03-2017 03:25 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I personally think the parallel universe speculations are almost a reductio ad absurdum of simply not understanding enough yet of why this universe is the specific way it is. Huh Now that we know dark matter and dark energy are out there, and play such a big role in how the universe behaves, all previous bets are off.

I've seen enough Dr. Who and Dirk Gently to know how this is gonna go down. Some poor schmuck working on his physics dissertation in his mother's basement is gonna be casually farting around with some obscure arcane formula when all of a sudden the multiverses (yes there are more than one multiverse, infinitely more Tongue ) pop and everyone of him simultaneously realizes the latent variable behind all of the transcendentals hinted at by the prophet Godel. Just as he was about to see the face of Boe all of the multiverses instantly wave collapsed into an unsustainable unstable singular universe and then there's this big bang and then who's your daddy. That's what's gonna happen.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-03-2017, 05:38 PM
I think the multiverse is an interesting thought and I have no problem considering such a concept valid. Once you're into the quantum realm, you enable other ways to think - which could indeed include multiple universes. Feynman frequently spoke about the possibility of multiverse. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein