many universes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2017, 06:00 PM
RE: many universes?
(06-03-2017 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've seen enough Dr. Who and Dirk Gently to know how this is gonna go down. Some poor schmuck working on his physics dissertation in his mother's basement is gonna be casually farting around with some obscure arcane formula when all of a sudden the multiverses (yes there are more than one multiverse, infinitely more Tongue ) pop and everyone of him simultaneously realizes the latent variable behind all of the transcendentals hinted at by the prophet Godel. Just as he was about to undertsnad the face of Boe all of the multiverses instantly wave collapsed into an unsustainable unstable singular universe and then there's this big bang and then who's your daddy. That's what's gonna happen.

Okay, but where does Sliders fit in? Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
06-03-2017, 06:40 PM
(06-03-2017 06:00 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've seen enough Dr. Who and Dirk Gently to know how this is gonna go down. Some poor schmuck working on his physics dissertation in his mother's basement is gonna be casually farting around with some obscure arcane formula when all of a sudden the multiverses (yes there are more than one multiverse, infinitely more Tongue ) pop and everyone of him simultaneously realizes the latent variable behind all of the transcendentals hinted at by the prophet Godel. Just as he was about to undertsnad the face of Boe all of the multiverses instantly wave collapsed into an unsustainable unstable singular universe and then there's this big bang and then who's your daddy. That's what's gonna happen.

It's on the other side of the Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
06-03-2017, 06:54 PM
(06-03-2017 06:40 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 06:00 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  Okay, but where does Sliders fit in? Huh

It's on the other side of the Einstein-Rosen-Podolsky bridge.

Along with Dr. Sam Beckett and his holographic pal Al.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-03-2017, 01:28 AM
(06-03-2017 12:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Not picking on you SI, but I have always found the idea of multi-universes a contradiction in semantics.

Universe = Uni (one), everything

Perhaps beyond our detectable limits lie other areas that can also be traced to a singularity, but if so they are but a subset of the thing known as the universe.

It is like saying, "this is everything...except for that over there". Then it isn't everything now is it?

End mini-rant, please carry on.

I totally agree! That's why I always use "reality" instead. I'm hoping it will catch on Tongue

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2017, 02:56 AM
There's really only three universes...

I'm in all three.

In one, I get laid more than Wilt Chamberlain....

in another, I get less nookie than Pee Wee Herman.....

And in yet another, I'm a serial killer who wrecks vengeance on people who mock my sexual prowess.....

The question you need to ask - is what universe you're in?????

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-03-2017, 07:58 AM
(06-03-2017 06:00 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  

So wait, are you implying there are multiple sharks? Bigger sharks?
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
30-03-2017, 07:12 AM
The problem with infinite multi-verse thing is....
If that's the case, then shouldn't there be a universe where God exists?
30-03-2017, 07:16 AM
(30-03-2017 07:12 AM)Walluin Wrote:  The problem with infinite multi-verse thing is....
If that's the case, then shouldn't there be a universe where God exists?

Why? An infinite number of universes doesn't mean every conceivable thing must exist somewhere.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
30-03-2017, 07:24 AM
It doesn't? Isn't that what infinite possibilities means?
I've watched Rick and Morty mate!
30-03-2017, 07:28 AM
(30-03-2017 07:24 AM)Walluin Wrote:  It doesn't? Isn't that what infinite possibilities means?
I've watched Rick and Morty mate!

There are an infinite number of points between 0 and 1; if every point equated to a universe you'd have an infinite multiverse and none would be #2.