many universes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2017, 06:08 AM
RE: many universes?
(30-03-2017 07:37 AM)Walluin Wrote:  Hmmm, but infinity has to be all-encompassing.

Does infinity have to include the impossible? No.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2017, 07:09 AM
(06-03-2017 12:59 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 12:26 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I'm an agnostic on it, I don't think there's compelling evidence for it, but there's no way to definitively say there is or isn't, so I'll settle on "unknown at this time".

A few years ago at a Perimeter Institute lecture Dr Roger Penrose who, using the WMAP image, showed that there actually is some evidence for a multiverse.

I can't seem to find the Youtube link with the lecture in question (if I happen upon it I'll post it) but here's a brief summation of what Penrose found: Penrose claims to have glimpsed universe before Big Bang

A multiverse looks to be a natural outgrowth of inflation theory which looks to be a good description of the early universe. Source: Our Universe May Exist in a Multiverse, Cosmic Inflation Discovery Suggests

All that said, it's still early days when it comes to multiverse/M-theory etc and, frankly, the science behind all this is way above my pay grade.

I remember reading an article from the UK press about seven years ago asserting that there may be evidence for other Universes. It appeared in the form circular anomalies in the microwave background radiation (3 or 4, iirc), and it was hypothesized that they might be areas of contact between our universe and the others outside.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-04-2017, 07:11 AM
(06-03-2017 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 03:25 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  I personally think the parallel universe speculations are almost a reductio ad absurdum of simply not understanding enough yet of why this universe is the specific way it is. Huh Now that we know dark matter and dark energy are out there, and play such a big role in how the universe behaves, all previous bets are off.

I've seen enough Dr. Who and Dirk Gently to know how this is gonna go down. Some poor schmuck working on his physics dissertation in his mother's basement is gonna be casually farting around with some obscure arcane formula when all of a sudden the multiverses (yes there are more than one multiverse, infinitely more Tongue ) pop and everyone of him simultaneously realizes the latent variable behind all of the transcendentals hinted at by the prophet Godel. Just as he was about to see the face of Boe all of the multiverses instantly wave collapsed into an unsustainable unstable singular universe and then there's this big bang and then who's your daddy. That's what's gonna happen.

Godel starts with "God".

Coincidence? I think not!
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-04-2017, 07:17 AM
(01-04-2017 07:11 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(06-03-2017 05:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've seen enough Dr. Who and Dirk Gently to know how this is gonna go down. Some poor schmuck working on his physics dissertation in his mother's basement is gonna be casually farting around with some obscure arcane formula when all of a sudden the multiverses (yes there are more than one multiverse, infinitely more Tongue ) pop and everyone of him simultaneously realizes the latent variable behind all of the transcendentals hinted at by the prophet Godel. Just as he was about to see the face of Boe all of the multiverses instantly wave collapsed into an unsustainable unstable singular universe and then there's this big bang and then who's your daddy. That's what's gonna happen.

Godel starts with "God".

Actually, it starts with Göd. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-04-2017, 12:42 AM
(01-04-2017 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 07:11 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Godel starts with "God".

Actually, it starts with Göd. Consider

I DON'T NEED NO STEENKIN' UMLAUTS!
02-04-2017, 02:53 AM
(02-04-2017 12:42 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Actually, it starts with Göd. Consider

Umlaute ftw!

Tüpfelhyänenöhrchen
Übergrößenträger

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
02-04-2017, 02:58 AM
If science discovered that there are many universes... or even many multiverses... I'd still call the total number or universes/multiverses added together "the universe".
[+] 1 user Likes EvieTheTurtle's post
02-04-2017, 06:02 AM
(02-04-2017 12:42 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Actually, it starts with Göd. Consider

That's just racist! Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post