mass surveillance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2015, 02:06 PM
mass surveillance
Recently I have been catching up on episodes of Radiolab, which is by and far one of my favorite podcasts. This particular episode struck me as a wonderful forum discussion topic. Namely, mass surveillance. If you can listen, please do so...

http://www.radiolab.org/story/eye-sky/

Here is the page write up:

Quote:Ross McNutt has a superpower — he can zoom in on everyday life, then rewind and fast-forward to solve crimes in a shutter-flash. But should he?

In 2004, when casualties in Iraq were rising due to roadside bombs, Ross McNutt and his team came up with an idea. With a small plane and a 44 mega-pixel camera, they figured out how to watch an entire city all at once, all day long. Whenever a bomb detonated, they could zoom onto that spot and then, because this eye in the sky had been there all along, they could scroll back in time and see - literally see - who planted it. After the war, Ross McNutt retired from the airforce, and brought this technology back home with him. Manoush Zomorodi and Alex Goldmark from the podcast “Note to Self” give us the low-down on Ross’s unique brand of persistent surveillance, from Juarez, Mexico to Dayton, Ohio. Then, once we realize what we can do, we wonder whether we should.

What are your thoughts? Are our individual rights of privacy for a potential safer society worth giving up? Can a checks and balances system be put into place so that technology like this can be utilized without giving up too many individual rights? Are you for or against?

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: mass surveillance
Wait? Why are you making the comment of "You individual right to privacy" when we're talking about the filming/viewing of public spaces? :Consider

Yes checks, balances and reviews can be (And are)_ pout in place to ensure that the operators of such systems are performing according to the laws etc.

When your property gets damaged on a public street, I sure as heck bet you'd want to have the resources to be able to view who perpetrated the action against your property.. or, perish the thought, your personal self or family member.
15-11-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't trust the government to use this technology without abusing it.
15-11-2015, 03:57 PM
(15-11-2015 03:52 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I don't trust the government to use this technology without abusing it.

I don't trust our government to take a shit without abusing the privilege.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
15-11-2015, 05:52 PM
I listened to the episode a while back. It's very good and definitely worth a listen. I'm in the " I've got nothing to hide" camp, and I don't mind extra surveillance.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
15-11-2015, 06:06 PM
I don't think they should be watching me, but I'm glad they're watching you all. Tongue

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
15-11-2015, 06:12 PM
I have no problem with filming of public spaces or with stores or businesses, etc., using filming on their premises. That kind of filming has helped catch the Boston Marathon bombers, among others.

Living as if you're on camera all the time and understanding that anything you post online must be considered not private is the new normal, inescapable, and our behavior needs to be adjusted accordingly.

I'm far less sure that various authorities are capable of using this information correctly. There's too much data to interpret, and there's also the human tendency to defend rather than correct mistakes. Think of the innocent people who shared names or similar information with terrorists/terrorist suspects and who subsequently can't get on a plane. Or the people whose houses have been destroyed by SWAT teams deployed to the wrong address.

That's why I can't get totally behind the "if I have nothing to hide, I'm okay with constant surveillance" stance.
15-11-2015, 06:29 PM
(15-11-2015 06:12 PM)julep Wrote:  I have no problem with filming of public spaces or with stores or businesses, etc., using filming on their premises. That kind of filming has helped catch the Boston Marathon bombers, among others.

Living as if you're on camera all the time and understanding that anything you post online must be considered not private is the new normal, inescapable, and our behavior needs to be adjusted accordingly.

I'm far less sure that various authorities are capable of using this information correctly. There's too much data to interpret, and there's also the human tendency to defend rather than correct mistakes. Think of the innocent people who shared names or similar information with terrorists/terrorist suspects and who subsequently can't get on a plane. Or the people whose houses have been destroyed by SWAT teams deployed to the wrong address.

That's why I can't get totally behind the "if I have nothing to hide, I'm okay with constant surveillance" stance.

CCTV is indeed very useful for catching the likes of the Boston Marathon bombers, but after the event. It does not necessarily help prevent a terrorist attack.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
16-11-2015, 05:29 AM
(15-11-2015 06:29 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 06:12 PM)julep Wrote:  I have no problem with filming of public spaces or with stores or businesses, etc., using filming on their premises. That kind of filming has helped catch the Boston Marathon bombers, among others.

CCTV is indeed very useful for catching the likes of the Boston Marathon bombers, but after the event. It does not necessarily help prevent a terrorist attack.

Agreed.
16-11-2015, 05:33 AM
In public spaces? No problemo. In private? Emails? Internet use? Fuck that. Not without a warrant, as for searching houses.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post