measuring tapes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2015, 07:43 PM
RE: measuring tapes
It's a 3d laser scanner, capturing millions of points in a sphere around its setup. It's state-of-the-art survey technology that's just about becoming affordable to deploy for mid-scale outfits like ours. One of these machines will set you back over £30,000.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2015, 11:40 PM
(25-09-2015 07:43 PM)Siz Wrote:  It's a 3d laser scanner, capturing millions of points in a sphere around its setup. It's state-of-the-art survey technology that's just about becoming affordable to deploy for mid-scale outfits like ours. One of these machines will set you back over £30,000.

I saw a TED talk on archaeology and 3-D laser scanning. I'll try to find it. It was very interesting.

Found it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_kacyra_anci...en#t-57820

Is this similar to what you use?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
26-09-2015, 12:55 AM
(25-09-2015 11:40 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 07:43 PM)Siz Wrote:  It's a 3d laser scanner, capturing millions of points in a sphere around its setup. It's state-of-the-art survey technology that's just about becoming affordable to deploy for mid-scale outfits like ours. One of these machines will set you back over £30,000.

I saw a TED talk on archaeology and 3-D laser scanning. I'll try to find it. It was very interesting.

Found it.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_kacyra_anci...en#t-57820

Is this similar to what you use?
Yep, exactly the same. There are a few different bits of software you can use depending on application, but the instruments and the data they output is exactly the same. The software is a little clunky and primitive but it will improve with time. This is the future of building surveying, without a doubt. The applications are endless.

The instrument we use (the one I pictured) is a FARO. There are a couple of others on the market. The Leica scanner (P40) is the most advanced and precise but is twice the price.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton Lavey
If god had meant us to believe in him he would've existed - Linda Smith