medical experimentation ethics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2012, 09:41 PM
medical experimentation ethics
So I have been reading into some world war two history and came across the Nazi experiments. I am surprised I didn't know that there is actually some of the data from those experiments that builds knowledge today, like the way the human body reacts to freezing. There's apparently debate on the ethics of using data obtained from such an unjust form of experimentation.

What do you think? Personally, I'm unsure.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 09:52 PM
RE: medical experimentation ethics
if the data is there why shouldn't we use it? is not like it's haunted...

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
02-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Use the data. You can't un-torture the victims or bring the deceased back to make amends. The moral hazard risk is minimal since nobody would condone such experiments continuing today.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
03-09-2012, 04:07 AM
I agree with the previous two. In the end, it won't change what happened whether we use it or not. But if it can help us, help science, help others who are in pain and ill, then it would be worse not to use it.

I say this, but if were up to me i don't think I would be able to think rationally and stop myself burning it all out of rage. I just don't think we should make these decisions emotionally.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
03-09-2012, 08:00 PM
(03-09-2012 04:07 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I agree with the previous two. In the end, it won't change what happened whether we use it or not. But if it can help us, help science, help others who are in pain and ill, then it would be worse not to use it.

I say this, but if were up to me i don't think I would be able to think rationally and stop myself burning it all out of rage. I just don't think we should make these decisions emotionally.

Your second sentence is your ethical sense kicking in, ethics are'nt about pragmatism. Ethically its a slippery slope, if you say well its all been done and sure those experiments were awful, but it'd be a shame to discount the research whats to stop unethical people, doing unethical research in the congo or some other hell hole through funding covertly unethical research. Once that research is done, well it'd be a shame to waste it.

The reason, that data from unethical research has been labelled unethical is to discourage the practice. This stance because it legitimises the data, could and probably would lead to unethical research.

Given, we're happy torture, detain without trial and so forth these days, I guess ethics might as well be thrown out with the bath water to.

Im pissing into the wind I know, its not like even if anyone cared they could do anything about it anyway.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
(02-09-2012 09:41 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  So I have been reading into some world war two history and came across the Nazi experiments. I am surprised I didn't know that there is actually some of the data from those experiments that builds knowledge today, like the way the human body reacts to freezing. There's apparently debate on the ethics of using data obtained from such an unjust form of experimentation.

Why don't people who live in the west of the U.S move? We stole it and murdered Native Americans to get it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
04-09-2012, 04:19 PM
The Eastern and Southeastern U.S. was inhabited by native tribes as well.

-summum ius, summa iniuria.-M. T. Cicero
-I will show you fear in a handful of dust.-T.S. Eliot
-
ἡ φύσις οὐδὲν ποιεῖ ἅλματα

04-09-2012, 04:40 PM
(04-09-2012 04:19 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  The Eastern and Southeastern U.S. was inhabited by native tribes as well.

Ssssssh. Them New Yorkers don't know that.

Now answer the question. Should we give all the land we took from the natives back?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
05-09-2012, 01:14 AM
(04-09-2012 03:04 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 09:41 PM)il_bandit Wrote:  So I have been reading into some world war two history and came across the Nazi experiments. I am surprised I didn't know that there is actually some of the data from those experiments that builds knowledge today, like the way the human body reacts to freezing. There's apparently debate on the ethics of using data obtained from such an unjust form of experimentation.

Why don't people who live in the west of the U.S move? We stole it and murdered Native Americans to get it.

I'll answer it.

Under that logic then most of the world would have to move.
I mean look at a map from say 900years ago, Europe would be almost unrecognizable. In particular around Poland, Denmark, Spain (half of which is Islamic at this point).
Fast forward and the Holy Roman Empire is broken up into a thousand pieces etc... etc..

The point is that land is fought over, won and lost, that is just how the world works.
One day a bit of land belongs to the Manchu the next it belongs to the Ming Dynasty.
One day land belongs to Tepanec people the next it belongs to the Aztecs the next it belongs to the Spanish, the next it belongs to Mexico. Or how about Texas, one day it belongs to native tribes, next it belongs to the Spanish, then the Mexicans, then independence (???), then nek minute it's a state in the United States, then nek minute it's a a state in the Confederate, then nek minute it's back in the US, I mean make up your mind Texas!

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Are you talking about the pseudo-science experiments of Josef Mengele? Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post