meet Atlas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2016, 04:26 PM
RE: meet Atlas
I saw this on PBS last night. I was hoping Mr. Row Bot would turn around and kick that science bully in the balls. Meanie! Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
25-02-2016, 05:24 PM
I laughed way harder than I should have at it stumbling through the snow.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
25-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I am personally extremely impressed with its ability to keep its footing in the snow. Control electronics has advanced many orders of magnitude in recent decades. It moves like a retarded kid, and I think that is what we have empathy for- it seems pretty helpless when the guy moves the box or pushes it over. But that just makes the point that it can recover from the interference. I wrote some machine control code in the past, and we had nothing like what you see here.

And like Heatheness says, once it is armed and programmed, it won't have any empathy. Difference is, if it shoots on sight, it can draw down way before a human, I bet.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
25-02-2016, 06:47 PM
(25-02-2016 05:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I am personally extremely impressed with its ability to keep its footing in the snow. Control electronics has advanced many orders of magnitude in recent decades. It moves like a retarded kid, and I think that is what we have empathy for- it seems pretty helpless when the guy moves the box or pushes it over. But that just makes the point that it can recover from the interference. I wrote some machine control code in the past, and we had nothing like what you see here.

And like Heatheness says, once it is armed and programmed, it won't have any empathy. Difference is, if it shoots on sight, it can draw down way before a human, I bet.

It has to see me, first.

[Image: ghillie_suit_snipers_by_adtxshadowx-d4iart8.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
25-02-2016, 06:51 PM
(25-02-2016 05:38 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I am personally extremely impressed with its ability to keep its footing in the snow. Control electronics has advanced many orders of magnitude in recent decades. It moves like a retarded kid, and I think that is what we have empathy for- it seems pretty helpless when the guy moves the box or pushes it over. But that just makes the point that it can recover from the interference. I wrote some machine control code in the past, and we had nothing like what you see here.

You mean it won't be 3-laws safe? Gasp
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
25-02-2016, 06:55 PM

Limiting factor now is power. You can't carry a generator on your back and last long.

#sigh
25-02-2016, 07:08 PM
(25-02-2016 06:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Limiting factor now is power. You can't carry a generator on your back and last long.

I wonder how many battery changes it went through for the demo. Consider They can strap a Honda generator on its back, and add an extra fuel tank. If it gets in a fire fight in close quarters, it can just use the "Fireball Immolation Attack" as a last resort.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-02-2016, 07:12 PM
(25-02-2016 06:51 PM)pablo Wrote:  

You mean it won't be 3-laws safe? Gasp

As a point of fact, we have the technology to locate snipers and shoot them in an instant. But the response has to be monitored by humans, because the detection and shooting being totally automated might place friendlies in the line of fire; say, for instance, it locates a sniper, whirls and shoots just as a friendly walks into that line of sight. Like we never shoot our own on accident. Dodgy

As far as Asimovian 3-law robotics is concerned, I'll bet that this ability will be available, but not in my lifetime. I expect to live maybe 20 more years. We've made vast leaps, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
25-02-2016, 08:43 PM
We have to call John Connor!

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
26-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Impressive. I was sorta hoping the 'bot would take that hockey stick from the guy and knock the dogshit outta him, myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post