melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.
(26-10-2016 11:18 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 11:05 AM)bemore Wrote:  

Big fuck off shiny blades lol. Personally I prefer darkened non reflective blades. Easier to sneak up on the clowns Tongue

Gerber Mk. 1. I have more than one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
26-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Depends on what I'm buying it for. I have a few small knives, daggers, and my rapier/main gauche set (sadly, in storage in another state, at the moment) ... but if we're talking for a specific purpose, like post-apocalyptic survival prepping, I'd go with a utility machete with a saw-edge back blade and a handaxe of a type similar to what Yak already posted.

[Image: gerber-gator-machete-gear-patrol.jpg]

Or perhaps a good, old-fashioned kukri to back up the handaxe and plethora of smaller knives.

[Image: gb2074.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
26-10-2016, 12:22 PM
(26-10-2016 11:18 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Big fuck off shiny blades lol. Personally I prefer darkened non reflective blades. Easier to sneak up on the clowns Tongue

Our close combat instructor once quipped, "If he sees your knife before he feels it, you have already fucked up."

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-10-2016, 06:01 PM
In what situation are you ever gonna use this stuff?
What the fuck do you need a medieval period hammer for? Those situations when you're on a college campus and a rampaging medieval Saracen knight go on a killing spree in full plate armour?
Like for collection and display purposes I can understand but you want to 'wield' it?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
26-10-2016, 06:03 PM
I don't know about the sharp things, but I plan to keep my Louisville slugger for defense purposes. As a single woman living on the ground floor, it would be nice to have something that could crack a skull... Just in case.

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Albert Camus
[+] 1 user Likes thesummerqueen's post
26-10-2016, 06:24 PM
(26-10-2016 06:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  In what situation are you ever gonna use this stuff?
What the fuck do you need a medieval period hammer for? Those situations when you're on a college campus and a rampaging medieval Saracen knight go on a killing spree in full plate armour?
Like for collection and display purposes I can understand but you want to 'wield' it?

Well, it would work in home defense. I'd shit myself if I was robbing a place and someone came at me with a warhammer.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
26-10-2016, 06:34 PM
[Image: 14882339_1113996912003084_4046049269399217375_o.jpg]

Got this thing a few years ago at a gift shop in florida. Was used by firefighters at some time, apparently. I'd say it weighs around 15 pounds and is solid steel. So far I've only used it once and that was to chop a bed into pieces and throw 'em out the second story window. Lazy-ass former roommate left all his crap behind.
26-10-2016, 07:08 PM
(26-10-2016 12:13 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 11:18 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Big fuck off shiny blades lol. Personally I prefer darkened non reflective blades. Easier to sneak up on the clowns Tongue

Gerber Mk. 1. I have more than one.

I've got a mid 70s MK 1. That's when they were still making them from tool steel. It's a bitch to sharpen but keeps its edge well. It isn't black.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
26-10-2016, 07:18 PM
(26-10-2016 06:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  In what situation are you ever gonna use this stuff?

Let's say you're first person in a fire team and you breach a room, but someone is standing right next to the door and they grab your rifle as you attempt to enter and there are four other people in the room about 2 seconds away from their rifles so you need to quickly dispatch the guy, enter,and get out of the way so your team can enter and get rifles on the enemy before the bad guys turn your entry point into a choke point. In that situation, which I'm sure we've all experienced at some time or another, it's handy to have a quick draw melee weapon with enough stopping power to move a body the fuck out of the way.

Or zombies.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
26-10-2016, 07:33 PM

Well. Yakherder is active military who engages in actual mortal combat. If I read it right, Gawdzilla was a SEAL. Some of the rest of us have military training and some of us have used some of the equipment shown. The only thing I have shown is a pic of a hammer something like I have, but I use it for metal working and when I need to break something. I am trained to use a baton and a .45 auto, and am a certified firearms instructor for rifle and shotgun, and shoot at the expert level. When I say baton, I mean something like this, not a drum majorette-

[Image: BkhzshK.jpg]