melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.
(26-10-2016 12:20 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Depends on what I'm buying it for. I have a few small knives, daggers, and my rapier/main gauche set (sadly, in storage in another state, at the moment) ... but if we're talking for a specific purpose, like post-apocalyptic survival prepping, I'd go with a utility machete with a saw-edge back blade and a handaxe of a type similar to what Yak already posted.

[Image: gerber-gator-machete-gear-patrol.jpg]

Or perhaps a good, old-fashioned kukri to back up the handaxe and plethora of smaller knives.

[Image: gb2074.jpg]

Machetes are quite useful. Not ideal for combat, I rarely refer to them as weapons, but they'll certainly get the job done.

This one is quite cumbersome, but I often keep it in my vehicle or ruck sack if we'll be in relatively rough terrain in case I need to do some quick tactical pruning. Remember those pictures I posted a while back where I hid the humvee behind the woodline just off the road? I used a Woodsman's Pal like this one to accomplish that. The blade is rugged enough to quickly take down small trees and the notch on the end can pluck thick shrubs and branches with minimal effort.

[Image: 81vHSD8m85L._SL1500_.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
26-10-2016, 07:44 PM
I use my two fists of death Wink
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
26-10-2016, 07:52 PM
(26-10-2016 07:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I use my two fists of death Wink

Easy to conceal, and legal in most states without a permit. Yes

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
26-10-2016, 08:00 PM
(26-10-2016 07:33 PM)Fireball Wrote:  If I read it right, Gawdzilla was a SEAL.

I've always pictured Gawdzilla sitting behind a pair of 50s in the front of a PBR out of Dong Tam. Kind of like this but more lizard looking.

[Image: pbrmkiigen1.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
26-10-2016, 08:28 PM
Quote:Let's say you're first person in a fire team and you breach a room, but someone is standing right next to the door and they grab your rifle as you attempt to enter and there are four other people in the room about 2 seconds away from their rifles so you need to quickly dispatch the guy, enter,and get out of the way so your team can enter and get rifles on the enemy before the bad guys turn your entry point into a choke point. In that situation, which I'm sure we've all experienced at some time or another, it's handy to have a quick draw melee weapon with enough stopping power to move a body the fuck out of the way.

That's unrealistic and stupid. That situation is literally never gonna happen.

Quote:Or zombies.

Ok yea fair point.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
26-10-2016, 09:46 PM
(26-10-2016 07:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 07:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I use my two fists of death Wink

Easy to conceal, and legal in most states without a permit. Yes

It always cracked me up when some guy would tell me (after he had some martial arts training, like tae kwon do), that he had to register his hands as lethal weapons whenever he went to a new town. Drinking Beverage

Jennybee- Krav Maga training puts you there, you lethal beast, you! I'd actually consider you a dangerous adversary. Yes
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
26-10-2016, 09:47 PM
(26-10-2016 09:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 07:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Easy to conceal, and legal in most states without a permit. Yes

It always cracked me up when some guy would tell me (after he had some martial arts training, like tae kwon do), that he had to register his hands as lethal weapons whenever he went to a new town. Drinking Beverage

Jennybee- Krav Maga training puts you there, you lethal beast, you! I'd actually consider you a dangerous adversary. Yes

That's right, you better watch your ass Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
26-10-2016, 09:51 PM
(26-10-2016 09:47 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 09:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  It always cracked me up when some guy would tell me (after he had some martial arts training, like tae kwon do), that he had to register his hands as lethal weapons whenever he went to a new town. Drinking Beverage

That's right, you better watch your ass Laugh out load

Naw, I already have women to do that for me. Ohmy
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
26-10-2016, 09:54 PM
(26-10-2016 09:46 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 07:52 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Easy to conceal, and legal in most states without a permit. Yes

I read a book on psychological warfare, now I have to register my Facebook account as a deadly weapon.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
26-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Speaking as someone from Louisiana, where we saw how quickly a major US city can go from the first world to straight Mogadishu during a food/water-supply crisis, I'd say the ability to defend yourself from those who want to take your stuff and/or your life is pretty important, and is likely to become more so as climate change continues to fuck with our ability to easily supply the essentials to our overgrown urban areas.

Many scenarios other than weather could trigger this: an epidemic or a "limited" nuclear/chemical/biological exchange in which our infrastructure is ruined but there's not enough fallout (or whatever) to kill everyone, or a major crop blight like the Irish potato famine but on a larger scale... or, say, the bee populations completely collapse, as appears to be slowly happening.

This is one of those areas where it's better to be the crazy guy who owns a bunch of "medieval" crap and trains for a bunch of disaster scenarios that never happen than to be the prey of the predators who will emerge should the unthinkable actually happen.

Or, of course, zombies.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post