melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2016 10:36 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
RE: melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.
Now THIS is my thread, I'm actually a little giddy to talk about it.

My grandfather was...an odd duck. Blade work is a family tradition going back to the 1200s, near as we can tell, and he instructed me same way his father instructed him. I've had a sword in my hand since I was 4, started Kendo at 7 (though I fell out of it in later years as my love for the Katana dwindled) , and have been active in HEMA for decades. Sword, axe, spear, mace, even Horseback Archery, if it was Old World I grew up with it and can use it. I am the ONLY person I know who has spent long hours on horseback in plate mail lol. While I'm passable to above average with most swords it's the English long sword and Bastard sword where I excel, I honestly consider it my only REAL talent. I'm good at a lot of stuff, same as everyone else, but the sword is my single greatest passion and has been since I was a child. I had a natural affinity for it, a gift.

As far as functional swords go I consider Albion Swords to be THE sword maker. I own.. at least dozen or more of their blades.
This gorgeous Two hander:
[Image: max2.jpg]
And this Museum replica which is one of my personal favorites:
[Image: Soeborg-4.jpg]
Almost all of my real prized pieces are historically accurate museum reproductions. Got a real soft spot for 8th century English and Nordic pieces, soem costing 4000+ EUR. This site has some gorgeous stuff if ya wanna have a look.

Also have a lot of "wall hangers", mostly movie props. All of the Lord of the Rings blades, a lot of the Hobbit ones (before they started going to shit) but my personal favorite of the wall hangers are the ones from Game of Thrones. Every time Valyrian Steel comes out with a new one I buy it that day. While not functional or even really that great of quality to be honest as a fan of the books and show it's just too cool.
I mean ook at this beautiful mother fucker:
[Image: VS0003D%20retouched%20sword%20on%20plaque.jpg]
Fun Fact: That handle being white suede is an absolute nightmare to keep clean, but so worth it. One of only 250 made, and one of my absolute favorites despite being a 10th of the cost of some of my other blades.

I have so much fun collecting and fighting with them (the non-edged ones obviously).

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
26-10-2016, 10:46 PM
I have a Japanese eyelash curler.

[Image: shu-uemura-tokyo-flash-fiesta-eyelash-curler.jpg]

My husband thinks it's some sort of torture device.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 5 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-10-2016, 10:48 PM
(26-10-2016 10:46 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I have a Japanese eyelash curler.

I'm pretty sure that could be used for home defense. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
26-10-2016, 10:57 PM
(26-10-2016 10:33 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Now THIS is my thread, I'm actually a little giddy to talk about it.

My grandfather was...an odd duck. Blade work is a family tradition going back to the 1200s, near as we can tell, and he instructed me same way his father instructed him. I've had a sword in my hand since I was 4, started Kendo at 7 (though I fell out of it in later years as my love for the Katana dwindled) , and have been active in HEMA for decades. Sword, axe, spear, mace, even Horseback Archery, if it was Old World I grew up with it and can use it. I am the ONLY person I know who has spent long hours on horseback in plate mail lol. While I'm passable to above average with most swords it's the English long sword and Bastard sword where I excel, I honestly consider it my only REAL talent. I'm good at a lot of stuff, same as everyone else, but the sword is my single greatest passion and has been since I was a child. I had a natural affinity for it, a gift.

As far as functional swords go I consider Albion Swords to be THE sword maker. I own.. at least dozen or more of their blades.
This gorgeous Two hander:
[Image: max2.jpg]
And this Museum replica which is one of my personal favorites:
[Image: Soeborg-4.jpg]
Almost all of my real prized pieces are historically accurate museum reproductions. Got a real soft spot for 8th century English and Nordic pieces, soem costing 4000+ EUR. This site has some gorgeous stuff if ya wanna have a look.

Also have a lot of "wall hangers", mostly movie props. All of the Lord of the Rings blades, a lot of the Hobbit ones (before they started going to shit) but my personal favorite of the wall hangers are the ones from Game of Thrones. Every time Valyrian Steel comes out with a new one I buy it that day. While not functional or even really that great of quality to be honest as a fan of the books and show it's just too cool.
I mean ook at this beautiful mother fucker:
[Image: VS0003D%20retouched%20sword%20on%20plaque.jpg]
Fun Fact: That handle being white suede is an absolute nightmare to keep clean, but so worth it. One of only 250 made, and one of my absolute favorites despite being a 10th of the cost of some of my other blades.

I have so much fun collecting and fighting with them (the non-edged ones obviously).

I think you need to calm down, sir.
26-10-2016, 10:59 PM
(26-10-2016 10:48 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

I'm pretty sure that could be used for home defense. Laugh out load

Yes. Hubby is very afraid of it. Gasp Bwaahahaha. Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
27-10-2016, 02:12 AM
Not sure what melee weapons I'd use, it would depend on the situation, but I'd definitely have two of them. One for each hand. I used to do Kali and used two sticks, but it could just as easily be used for two knives or two machetes. Just using one blade would be like boxing with only one arm for me.

Axes don't appeal because you have a small head that has to hit the target. I love hammers when splitting tree trunks, I have a whole collection ranging from 1kg to 5kg, but I wouldn't use them as a weapon because they're too slow and heavy to swing. Same as baseball bats.

I've often thought though that the ultimate melee weapon if you could use it would be a chain, maybe with a spiked ball on the end. There's no way you could block that. It'd just wrap around whatever was in the way. And if you could use two of them at the same time ...
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
27-10-2016, 07:56 AM

For a second there I thought that was something a gynaecologist would use.
"Now Mrs Little Old Lady, open wide.."
*old door creaking sound*

[Image: oscar.png]
27-10-2016, 08:09 AM
(26-10-2016 10:33 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  As far as functional swords go I consider Albion Swords to be THE sword maker.

I've lusted after an Albion sword for years. I'd love to have one of these.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
27-10-2016, 08:13 AM
(27-10-2016 07:56 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

For a second there I thought that was something a gynaecologist would use.
"Now Mrs Little Old Lady, open wide.."
*old door creaking sound*

I remember going into Anne Summer's once, a high street shop that sells sexy clothes (actually it's all tat) and sex toys.

The shop assistant came over to me and asked if I needed help. I explained that no, I was anorgasmic and she proudly showed off her shelves of sex toys. To me they just looked like a load of hair dryer attachments and cooking utensils. There was no way I was going to subject myself to those devices. I could almost feel my labia trying to crawl inside my vagina for safety.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
27-10-2016, 08:26 AM
A guy in my platoon has a side business hand forging blades.
Lost Nation Forge Works
I haven't had him make me one yet, but I'm thinking of something along the lines of a falcata.

He's not much into flashy blades but we've put some of his creations through the torture test.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post