melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-10-2016, 08:30 AM
RE: melee weapons. enthusiasts optional.
(27-10-2016 02:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Not sure what melee weapons I'd use, it would depend on the situation, but I'd definitely have two of them. One for each hand. I used to do Kali and used two sticks, but it could just as easily be used for two knives or two machetes. Just using one blade would be like boxing with only one arm for me.

Axes don't appeal because you have a small head that has to hit the target. I love hammers when splitting tree trunks, I have a whole collection ranging from 1kg to 5kg, but I wouldn't use them as a weapon because they're too slow and heavy to swing. Same as baseball bats.

I've often thought though that the ultimate melee weapon if you could use it would be a chain, maybe with a spiked ball on the end. There's no way you could block that. It'd just wrap around whatever was in the way. And if you could use two of them at the same time ...

I don't think I'm coordinated enough to use two chains at once.

That reminds me, though. I forgot about melee defense. I'm going to need a shield or something.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-10-2016, 08:33 AM
(27-10-2016 08:09 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 10:33 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  As far as functional swords go I consider Albion Swords to be THE sword maker.

I've lusted after an Albion sword for years. I'd love to have one of these.

For $1000 it had better be an actual functional sword. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2016, 09:04 AM
I'm a gun guy, but if push comes to shiv ... Consider

[Image: melee.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-10-2016, 09:08 AM (This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 09:13 AM by Popeye's Pappy.)
(27-10-2016 08:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-10-2016 08:09 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  I've lusted after an Albion sword for years. I'd love to have one of these.

For $1000 it had better be an actual functional sword. Consider

Yes it's an actual functional sword. The $1000 price tag is why I don't already have one...

Quote:They are not look-alikes or replicas -- we call them re-creations because they not only look like period originals, but feel and perform like them as well, just as on the day that they were newly forged. No short-cuts, no compromises. Just the real thing.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
27-10-2016, 09:22 AM
(27-10-2016 09:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm a gun guy, but if push comes to shiv ... Consider

[Image: melee.jpg]

There's that Woodman's Pal again. Awesome machete substitute.

'Murican Canadian
27-10-2016, 09:25 AM
I'd really like to have a gunstock war club too. Something like this would be nice.

[Image: orig.jpg]

[+] 3 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
27-10-2016, 06:01 PM
(27-10-2016 08:09 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 10:33 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  As far as functional swords go I consider Albion Swords to be THE sword maker.

I've lusted after an Albion sword for years. I'd love to have one of these.
It's a damn fine sword, some of the best bang for your buck from Albion which is known for it's cost to quality being some of the highest.
Personally I'm a big fan of this one and this one.

Though the best sword the ever mad in my opinion is the Knecht Kriegsmesser. Thing is just amazing, great balance, light, much faster than it looks. Just a fantastic blade, can't say enough good things about it. Sold out though :/

(27-10-2016 08:30 AM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  I'm going to need a shield or something.
There was a thread about zombie apocalypse load-outs a while back and I said I'd give up all my guns and blades as long as I still have my shield. Super easy to make too, those big dog bones that they sell in pet stores a lot of them are rawhide that can be soaked in hot water, unraveled, and used to edge a shield with. It adds a surprising amount of durability.

(27-10-2016 08:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  For $1000 it had better be an actual functional sword. Consider
$1000 for functional is on the low-middle ground of cost. I have several blades that are in the 3-4 thousand EUR range, and a custom blade that was hand made for me that cost a bit over $10,000 USD.
Good rule of thumb is if it's under $700 it's garbage. $1100-1300 is good and basic.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
27-10-2016, 07:14 PM
(26-10-2016 08:00 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 07:33 PM)Fireball Wrote:  If I read it right, Gawdzilla was a SEAL.

I've always pictured Gawdzilla sitting behind a pair of 50s in the front of a PBR out of Dong Tam. Kind of like this but more lizard looking.

[Image: pbrmkiigen1.jpg]
Well spotted. Pennipeds liked to see us come around the bend in the river.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
27-10-2016, 09:25 PM
(27-10-2016 06:01 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  It's a damn fine sword, some of the best bang for your buck from Albion which is known for it's cost to quality being some of the highest.
Personally I'm a big fan of this one and this one.

Though the best sword the ever mad in my opinion is the Knecht Kriegsmesser. Thing is just amazing, great balance, light, much faster than it looks. Just a fantastic blade, can't say enough good things about it. Sold out though :/

My preference for the type XIIIa has more to do with the lines than anything else since I know shit about swords. I really really like the looks of this type XVIIIb from the Fontenla forge in Spain. I have no idea about the quality of their work or what one would cost.

[Image: i282600889618321470._szw1280h1280_.jpg]

Having said that I'd probably be better off with something like the Kriegsmesser since I have zero experience with a sword.

27-10-2016, 09:47 PM
You would not be disappointed with a Kriegsmesser, at least not the one by Albion, however if you have no experience with a sword I'd recommend a Gladius to start with. A lot of them are fairly short so you can learn the movement and the footwork without a longer blade in the way, it's a good weight that will build up your body to a longer heavier blade, and it's super easy to train with. I wouldn't stick with it for long though. I trained with one when I was young but I don't like the guard (one of the same problem with Katanas), preferring a proper cross guard.

The Steward you posted earlier would be a good one to learn on as well (or ideally a cheaper dull one of similar design). I was learning the Katana and the English long sword at the same time and that was...not the most fun thing in the world. Two totally different way's of fighting lol.

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.