• 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2012, 05:19 AM
merry x-mas everyone
[Image: 11764064.jpg]

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
25-12-2012, 06:18 AM
RE: merry x-mas everyone
Happy Christmas Observer Smile
25-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Happy end of Saturanila week yourself. Be careful they don't murder you as the sacrifice. And don't forget, when you eat your gingerbread man today, you're in good pagan tradition.
Roman pagans first introduced the holiday of Saturnalia, a week long period of lawlessness celebrated between December 17-25. During this period, Roman courts were closed, and Roman law dictated that no one could be punished for damaging property or injuring people during the weeklong celebration. The festival began when Roman authorities chose “an enemy of the Roman people” to represent the “Lord of Misrule.” Each Roman community selected a victim whom they forced to indulge in food and other physical pleasures throughout the week. At the festival’s conclusion, December 25th, Roman authorities believed they were destroying the forces of darkness by brutally murdering this innocent man or woman.

The ancient Greek writer poet and historian Lucian, in the dialogue "Saturnalia" tells of the festival’s observance. In addition to human sacrifice, he mentions these customs: widespread intoxication; going from house to house while singing naked; rape and other sexual license; and consuming human-shaped biscuits (still produced in some English and most German bakeries during the Christmas season).

In the 4th century CE, Christianity adopted the Saturnalia festival hoping to take the pagan masses in with it. Christian leaders succeeded in converting to Christianity large numbers of pagans by promising them that they could continue to celebrate the Saturnalia as Christians. There is nothing intrinsically Christian about Saturnalia. To remedy this, these Christian leaders named Saturnalia’s concluding day, December 25th, to be Jebus’ birthday.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
25-12-2012, 06:55 AM
And a joyous Festivus to all! Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
25-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Merry Christmas Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
25-12-2012, 07:22 AM

Laughat Laughat

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
25-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Merry Christmas! We are having a North Texas weather bonanza today...thunderstorms turning to snow and ice...or as they call it...Thundersnow!

Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday and wishing us all a healthy new year. Big Grin Heart Tongue

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
25-12-2012, 08:41 AM
merry x-mas everyone
Merry Christmas, Obsy!

And Bucky, may you enjoy your big Yule log this season. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
25-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks Bucky! Now when I eat gingerbread men, I will think of those horrible times thousands of years ago that I was not present to attend and feel super bad about the innocents.

Merry Saturnalia! Gangman style!
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
25-12-2012, 12:42 PM
merry x-mas everyone
(25-12-2012 12:40 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Thanks Bucky! Now when I eat gingerbread men, I will think of those horrible times thousands of years ago that I was not present to attend and feel super bad about the innocents.

Merry Saturnalia! Gangbang style!

Fixt. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My