millennials are the least religious generation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 09:35 AM
millennials are the least religious generation
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2...052615.php

Quote:"Millennial adolescents are less religious than Boomers and GenX'ers were at the same age," Twenge continued. "We also looked at younger ages than the previous studies. More of today's adolescents are abandoning religion before they reach adulthood, with an increasing number not raised with religion at all."

Compared to the late 1970s, twice as many 12th graders and college students never attend religious services, and 75 percent more 12th graders say religion is "not important at all" in their lives. Compared to the early 1980s, twice as many high school seniors and three times as many college students in the 2010s answered "none" when asked their religion.

Compared to the 1990s, 20 percent fewer college students described themselves as above average in spirituality, suggesting that religion has not been replaced with spirituality.

"These trends are part of a larger cultural context, a context that is often missing in polls about religion," Twenge said. "One context is rising individualism in U.S. culture. Individualism puts the self first, which doesn't always fit well with the commitment to the institution and other people that religion often requires. As Americans become more individualistic, it makes sense that fewer would commit to religion."

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-10-2015, 09:49 AM
RE: millennials are the least religious generation
That conclusion/cause statement seems hallow but yes it is a factor.

Still unsure what the current and what the view in the future years will even call me. Growing up I was always viewed as generation Y, but having older siblings I always felt a bit more GenX still and a step away from many folks just 1-2 years younger than me. Then suddenly the term millennials came by and encompased so many ranges I don't know.

With the less religious topic, it's still a question of will that remain or change. Just as well there is considered more liberal views, to current issues, in millennials. Both were said of previous generations too. Gen-X was lower in religious affiliation and supposed belief but when more hit the family having range, the religious numbers rose again. I still wonder if my generation and those younger will fall into that same pattern. If not, I'd think the internet and age of information access to be a bigger factor at keeping it at bay.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-10-2015, 09:51 AM
My two collage age kids fit this description. Yay!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
06-10-2015, 10:03 AM
I do wonder how much is an actual change in views, and how much reflects weaker social norms. Not that I doubt there is much of the former, but the acceptability of saying so out loud has changed, too.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Good. Eff the Police!

Wait, a second...wrong topic.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-10-2015, 10:48 AM
Television has changed, role models have changed, atheism is more acceptable and even considered a trait of cool TV characters or cultural icons. It's what the cool kids do.

People are becoming less and less religious with every century. It's really no surprise. Less conservative, more educated, it follows.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
06-10-2015, 11:26 AM
Very interesting and certainly an affirming trend; though I get tired of the emphasis always being on "individualism" as a root cultural cause of the decline of religion without any mention of our society's increased body of scientific knowledge when compared to past generations. Maybe the "me" generation also just has more fucking common sense and the fairy tale bullshit isn't enticing them like it did their grandparents.
06-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I think the information revolution has a lot to do with it.

Info about most anything is at our fingertips online.

As Baby Boomer, as teen when I wanted to read something about science or whatever, I had to take the bus to the library. Looking something up was a day's excursion.

The ease of obtaining information today is going to continue to speed up social evolution.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
06-10-2015, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2015 12:27 PM by Adrianime.)
In seriousness, I'm glad for this. Personally I was raised without mention of religion, and I think that's one of the few things my parents did really well. Not once did we talk about religion in our own home...not once! I mean, ideally we *would* have talked about it and discussed the pros and cons, but I liked being able to learn for myself and make my own decisions.

Most of my friends were/are religious. But again WE never talked about it as friends..we just did whatever the hell we wanted...which didn't include talking about religion haha.

Dom is right, knowledge is power. Access to information will ultimately overthrow superstition. It will just take more time. That is, assuming we (humanity) don't go to war and kill each other before then. We all know that religion and war are besties.

Also, I have nothing against police officers Tongue. I just imagine some deep voiced black dude saying that phrase and it cracks me up Laugh out load.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-10-2015, 12:17 PM
(06-10-2015 09:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2...052615.php

Quote:"Millennial adolescents are less religious than Boomers and GenX'ers were at the same age," Twenge continued. "We also looked at younger ages than the previous studies. More of today's adolescents are abandoning religion before they reach adulthood, with an increasing number not raised with religion at all."

Compared to the late 1970s, twice as many 12th graders and college students never attend religious services, and 75 percent more 12th graders say religion is "not important at all" in their lives. Compared to the early 1980s, twice as many high school seniors and three times as many college students in the 2010s answered "none" when asked their religion.

Compared to the 1990s, 20 percent fewer college students described themselves as above average in spirituality, suggesting that religion has not been replaced with spirituality.

"These trends are part of a larger cultural context, a context that is often missing in polls about religion," Twenge said. "One context is rising individualism in U.S. culture. Individualism puts the self first, which doesn't always fit well with the commitment to the institution and other people that religion often requires. As Americans become more individualistic, it makes sense that fewer would commit to religion."

This is good news if and only if religion is being replaced with some type of rational philosophy.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick