millennials are the least religious generation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2015, 12:26 PM
RE: millennials are the least religious generation
In many ways, I think that the digital revolution and the accelerating pace of technological change have given younger generations a more questioning mindset and made them less fearful of change. I don't think individualism is as great a factor for adolescents as the authors make it out to be; after all, teens are those most likely to be influenced by peer pressure and group-think.

However, I think the study authors don't seem to grasp that teens and young adults are less fearful of abandoning institutions that don't reflect their ever-evolving values because now they can use social media to easily find and connect with like-minded peers. And it's not just religious institutions that are taking a hit: political, educational and social institutions that rely on top-down structures are failing to attract teens and young adults as well.

In a world in constant flux, the ability to adapt takes priority over loyalty to institutions.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reducetarian's post
06-10-2015, 12:43 PM
The internet certainly gives easy access to information outside of what your parents tell you. Fact checking and finding multiple other opinions is really easy, and I think that has helped people escape religion. All it takes is a little curiosity. The internet is awesome.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
06-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Let's also not forget the fact that millennials' formative years in terms of personal philosophy happened after 911 and after the Catholic priest sex abuse scandal attained worldwide attention. I don't think it's much of a stretch to view these events (among many others) as illustrative examples of the ability of religious authority to corrupt people and inflict misery. Add to this the fact that information travels faster than ever before and on top of the ability to more easily access new scientific information today's 20-somethings have also grown up with the ability to hear the real world stories of people who've been victimized by organized religion for their sexuality or for other moral stances; people whom religious leaders would have more easily silenced in earlier generations. The more religion has to account for, and the easier it is for personal stories of repression to find an audience the more likely young people with any intelligence or empathy will conclude that they have no need for religion and don't want to be associated with it.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post