mind of an average man

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2011, 03:10 PM
mind of an average man
hi i'm new, this may be the wrong place for this but it's something i wanted to share.

i was at the bar yesterday and this guy sat beside me and we started talking. he tells me that he is a successful person with a family and his own business (and 99.9% chance of theist simply because of where i live)

he had a motorcycle helmet beside him so i started talking about motorcycles. he told me he races them so i told him about the guy i used to know who raced as well and had a terrible accident which required him to have insane amounts of surgery and couldn't walk for 8 months. i then told him about how i didn't really feel bad for the guy after the accident because the guy was a piece of shit. he was a liar, a cheat and i'm pretty sure a thief too. i gave the man some examples of how this guy chose to live and his response was "if thats the way he lives his life then that's his choice"

his response got my wheels turning because i couldn't understand how someone could be so carefree about someone else living the way they do. i then asked him if he'd be willing to hang out with the guy and go and drink beer or whatever with him. he says 'sure why would i care, he lives his life that way, so be it'

we continue talking and some time passes and i don't remember the exact details because i was drinking and not planning to reiterate the conversation but somehow i squeezed religion into the chat.

the very moment (honestly about 10 seconds later) this guy found out i didn't believe in god, he called me crazy, grabbed his drink and moved to the other end of the bar.

i find it hard to comprehend how this guy can be scarily accepting of someone who is moral trash but won't even converse with someone who is atheist.

i guess if anyone feels like replying please tell me something deeper about what happened at that bar. i found it quite confusing. ok i understand the moving from me because i'm atheist. but what about the acceptance of the other guy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-03-2011, 04:12 PM
RE: mind of an average man
Hmm...

I think your discussion partner was biased towards the immoral guy because he could reflect to him. They had something in common. It sounds like, when starting the talk about motorcycles, you portrayed the immoral guy as a sympathetic rider who happened to have bad luck. It takes the human mind just a split second to put a label on someone. In this case, bikers --> cool

You, the atheist however, did not fit in any of the man's "good things" boxes. Atheists --> bad.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
06-03-2011, 04:47 PM
i was kind of thinking something along those lines and also thinking that maybe he had some of the same immoral traits as the other guy as well.

thanks for reply
06-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Most likely. He didn't seem to have anything against the guy for cheating, stealing and lying. He assumed that that other biker believed in god so he was ok with the guy's vices.

He just told you who he is, loud and clear. He will accept anyone who shares his beliefs, no matter how bad, and he will shun anyone who doesn't, no matter how good. HYPOCRITE to the max.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
06-03-2011, 09:36 PM
This is a good example of hypocrisy as NoJ pointed out.
Still, I think it's a dangerous idea to not care if a human being is crippled. If he's broken the law let the authorities deal with it , if he's a jerk , warn people about him.
But don't just ignore human suffering because it happens to jerks.Even if said jerk harmed you in some way.

This is a great story to illustrate the concept :
http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/army_ti...re_news-2/

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
06-03-2011, 11:03 PM
gagla you are right i should care. in reality i don't care and his accident secretly pleased me. and this type of attitude holds true in many of other peoples circumstances with me. it's a very dark side and i keep it to myself knowing it is wrong.
on another note, i'm actually extremely caring and good natured. for instance, i was leaving the movie theater one day and a stranger asked for a ride home. i knew instantly he was a christian because he had a bookbag (religious college right down the road) and i gave him a ride anyway and didn't even mention my beliefs to him.

i feel the need to put more examples of how i am a good person here because i know how dark the inside of my mind is in places. honestly it can't be any darker without violence (and no i would never resort to violence and there has been a time where people didn't believe me and i was forced into a mental hospital). at the same time it really can't be much lighter either. i simply love to live my lifestyle and i love many other things as well.

this is the life of a bipolar i guess.

i feel the need to write so much more but it is jumbled in my head atm and i think i got my point across anyway. well maybe i didn't. my point was that yes, i am a hater. i hate people. but it's all a front because inside i am actually a lover in disguise. i just simply chose to quit life. i built a breakfast fortress to keep the haters out (i hope someone gets that reference)

oops too much ranting about something that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
07-03-2011, 06:05 AM
You are bipolar ? Sorry - didn't know.
Well , if you have a mental issue than I don't think the same standards apply.
Actions, not thoughts harm people.I was just pointing out that we should try and not neglect the suffering of another human being -> granted there are many exceptions to this rule especially in the case of those that harmed others.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin