mistrial because of JW finally figuring out what she believes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2014, 05:59 PM
mistrial because of JW finally figuring out what she believes
A police officer dies in the line of duty.
They are ready to go to trial.

They go thru jury selections (which is like a form of torture in itself). She gets selected to be on the jury. Listens to the trial, and in the middle of the night decides she can't do her jury duty because she finally figured out her beliefs.

I hope the judge holds her in contempt.

Prince George mistrial

so in a world with a separation of church & state- how would you handle juries and everyone's "belief systems"? How is it in other countries?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
09-01-2014, 08:30 PM
RE: mistrial because of JW finally figuring out what she believes
Yes, she should be held in contempt of court, but there will be a re-trial, so its expensive and it sux for the family and the state.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-01-2014, 09:01 PM
They should have seated a few alternate jurors. Two more hours of vetting a few more
citizens would have saved everybody grief and agony, not to mention dollars.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
09-01-2014, 09:16 PM
In fairness I wouldn't want to do it either... But if they call me for jury service I'll make it clear from the start that I want nothing to do with it, for my own reasons.

But I've never agreed with the jury selection system...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2014, 09:18 PM
(09-01-2014 09:01 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  They should have seated a few alternate jurors. Two more hours of vetting a few more

They did seat alternates, according to the article. But unfortunately they had dismissed the alternates at some point before this JW witness squirreled out.

09-01-2014, 10:07 PM
(09-01-2014 09:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:01 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  They should have seated a few alternate jurors. Two more hours of vetting a few more

They did seat alternates, according to the article. But unfortunately they had dismissed the alternates at some point before this JW witness squirreled out.

Stupidity at work. I've seen jurors replaced in the middle of deliberations. Alternates should be available until the bitter end.

2 cents

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
09-01-2014, 10:52 PM
(09-01-2014 10:07 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 09:18 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  They did seat alternates, according to the article. But unfortunately they had dismissed the alternates at some point before this JW witness squirreled out.

Stupidity at work. I've seen jurors replaced in the middle of deliberations. Alternates should be available until the bitter end.

2 cents

OH, I agree, and it troubled me as I read that they had dismissed the alts, and my thought was, as yours probably was: well why the fuck did they do that, there wouldn't have been any problem at all.

10-01-2014, 09:29 AM
This kind of problem should be solved by alternate jurors who sit through every aspect of the trial and deliberations.
Releasing them before a verdict was a mistake on the state's part and hopefully they won't make that mistake again.

For whatever reason, this woman felt she couldn't fulfill her duty as a juror. That's fine. A back up is in place.
That is all that should have happened

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
10-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Isn't jury duty like $50 a day?

That's your problem. It should be based on your current salary/wages. People would be more inclined to participate instead of trying everything they can to get out of it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-01-2014, 10:50 AM
To be fair, the Bible does say not to render judgement against people.

Also being fair, she should have damn well disclosed this reason she couldn't perform her duties as a juror during the jury selection... or even during the trial, before the deliberations began and the alternates were dismissed.

Also, how in the world did she figure out what her beliefs were only then? Did she not know what her religion required of her before that? Was she spending her time in deliberations reading the Bible and JW material and praying and (biiiiig danger zone here) talking about the case to her priest/minister/whatever, rather than ACTUALLY CONSIDERING THE CASE?

From the article, when she was asked to elaborate:
Quote:"she didn’t have a dog in this fight” and that she wasn’t sure whether there was enough evidence and she didn’t want to be involved, Alsobrooks [the State Attourney] said. The juror then said she didn’t alert the court sooner because she needed to “do research about her beliefs to discover what her beliefs are.”

Going through this one by one....

Can't sit in judgement of another person: Not a bad religious justification for getting out of jury duty, as far as religious justifications go... or even non-religious justifications. But that's followed by....
Needed to do some research and discover what her beliefs are: As stated above, WTF? Of particular note is that she didn't come to a new belief, just that she didn't know what her preexisting beliefs were.
Didn't have a dog in this fight: Doesn't disqualify her for jury duty, and is actually the ideal for a juror.
Not sure whether there's enough evidence: Doesn't disqualify her for jury duty, and says she should have voted to acquit or held out for longer deliberations.

Reading between the lines and speculating, there were votes being held in the jury room, she balked at the somehow-unexpected pressure of making a decision, the others wanted her to vote one way or the other so that they could go home, and she reached for her religion as a way out of the high-pressure environment.

If she is to be held in contempt, and IMO she should be, it won't be for refusing to violate her religious beliefs, but rather for not disclosing that she couldn't perform those duties (or even an uncertainty that she could perform them) when the law required that disclosure.

Personally, I think there should be an easy opt-out for jury duty, religious reason or no. Not because compulsory service isn't justified (it is), but because people who are resentful of being forced into a duty they do not wish to perform can lash out in ways that we wouldn't want in a juror. That said, the opt-out shouldn't remain open until the end of the trial.