"...modern day atheist the intellectual equivalent of a cave man"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2012, 10:59 AM
RE: "...modern day atheist the intellectual equivalent of a cave man"
Hi squeeker92...
Why bother with another extremist cluttering up your day?
On facebook, unfriend is your best friend. Smile

That block thing does a pretty good job of keeping sanity as well. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-01-2012, 11:28 AM
That's plainly ridiculous, and he knows it and you know it. There are vast differences. First off, he's suggesting that there was an easily identifiable "first human". That's not how evolution works, and that's not how the mind evolved- it didn't suddenly appear. It didn't pop into existence as we know it today, it gradually evolved into what we can today identify as humans with intellect. Presumably as intellect developed, the capacity to reason and think about the "how's and why's" of the world about them. The first answers were probably very mystical in nature, as we can see when we look at very early religions.

At this current stage of our existence we have found natural explanations for many of the "how's and why's" that once required a religious explanation. The modern atheist points to these explanations for justification that religion is no longer a necessary tool for explanation of everything. The things we understand fully can be explained without the supernatural, and the things we don't know we are confident have an explanation that we simply haven't discovered or confirmed yet.

I think it's a logical fallacy to insist that the first humans were atheists. First off because you're suggesting a solid point at which there were "first humans". Second off because you are suggesting that early humans had a clean slate- they did not. They would have inherited the explanations of their ancestors. Going all the way back to when logic and reason and curiosity first emerged, I think you can infer that explanations would not have fit the modern definition of the scientific method, and therefore would have required an alternative method, most likely mystical in nature.

However, take my thoughts as worth a grain of salt, as I'm not an anthropologist. But I think you can easily defeat his flawed logic with a basic understanding of evolution and the history of our existence. That is, if you feel inclined to argue on Facebook. I mostly have family on my Facebook, so I don't bother to challenge their religious posts. Not yet anyway...
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
19-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Early humans were probably not really atheists, they probably came up with ideas to explain why the wind blows, why it rains etc that was most likely a belief structure based around magical spirits/ancestors, due to there being no real scientific explanations or even ways to study the world at the time.

Over a period of thousands of years this changed into several gods, the killing of others for worshiping 'false gods' and the brainwashing of followers, as a way of gaining and keeping control over the minds of the followers.

Since no belief in a god is the fastest growing 'belief system' in the western world. And we as a species have progressed massively since then, it looks more like the modern god worshiper is closer to the intellectual equivalent of a cave man, than an atheist is.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 4 users Like FSM_scot's post
19-01-2012, 02:00 PM
An atheist doesn't believe unsupported claims of the supernatural in much the same way theists don't believe that while watching a magic act in Las Vegas that the magician is performing REAL magic. Theists and Atheists both know that the magician is performing a trick that we as the lay person find fascinating. We know it's not REAL magic, but we also don't know how it's done.

If as a theist, you came across a group of say 200 million people that truly believed that the magician was performing TRUE MAGIC, creating the rabbit, making the lion disappear, which group do you think has a better understanding of observed reality ? The group who knows that the magician is performing a trick or the group that believes it's TRUE MAGIC ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
19-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Just post a meme for the lulz. No need to get into a deep theological debate with someone when it really won't matter anyway. I suggest a God meme or philosoraptor.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
19-01-2012, 08:05 PM
But we can still buy car insurance because GEICO has made it so easy for us.
[+] 3 users Like advancedatheist's post
19-01-2012, 09:20 PM
If facebook, then duh.

The most offensive thing I found in this thread is Ghost's smarmy reply. But to put Ghost on ignore is to kill Ghost; being evil, I'd rather do that shit in person.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Honestly if someone posts something like this on facebook I would confront it for two reasons:

A) Facebook is a public forum and it IS discrimination to post defamatory and hateful comments towards a select group. People need to be called on that.

B) Even if I won't convince the person themselves other people are watching the exchange and often their minds will change based on what they see from an exterior veiwpoint provided you are presenting yourself in a good manner.

So yeah engage the Atheist hate. They don't have any right to discriminate against us and we should publicly shame them for it.
19-01-2012, 10:37 PM
The best answer that I can give:

Humans evolved from lover level primates. They became more intelligent and more self-aware. At some point they asked the questions: Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going? How did all this stuff get here, the trees, the animals, and the stars?
These questions could not be answered so being evolved patter seeking animals they saw patterns in the chaos. The made “best guesses” at what probably made all this stuff. We call these best guesses today “religion”. There are about 1,250 existing religions on the planet today and many more have disappeared or have culturally evolved into something else.
Tens of thousands of years go by and we start to technologically evolve and realize that the world is not flat. That evolution took place. The universe is 13.74 billion years old. The round earth is 4.5 billion years old. We discover the human genome. We socially and intellectually evolve to where we are today.
To continue to believe in a 2000 year old religion based on Mediterranean sun worshiping cults dating back longer then we have recorded history is the “un-evolved” state. To accept new scientific evidence for the reality that it represents is not a degraded cultural state, but an superior one. We are not de-evolving by rejection superstition, we are evolving.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 3 users Like Thomas's post
20-01-2012, 09:33 AM

1. No such thing as caveman, the earth is only 6000ish years old. No time for cavemen in the big pitcure, genesis says nothing of cavemen. Cavemen are put here by the devil to test faith. So it appears the person that used a caveman as an example failed the test.

2. EVERYONE is born an atheist. Including the person that posted the quote. It was only until later in life that they clouded their mind with mythology.

..........and never expect to curry favor or change minds on facebook. Rarely worth the time to debate.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post