"...modern day atheist the intellectual equivalent of a cave man"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-01-2012, 12:06 PM
RE: "...modern day atheist the intellectual equivalent of a cave man"
(19-01-2012 02:41 AM)squeeker92 Wrote:  Okay so another theist (facebook) friend posted this status...

Quote:Shaun Murray
Self defeating theories seem to be the way to go these days; for example most atheists believe that they are stronger intelectually because they can concieve of a world in which God does not exist and 'religion evolved' however if you look closer at this line of thinking the first humans would have been atheists and then some enlightened people conceived of a world where they weren't the ultimate power and religion was born thus making the modern day atheist the intellectual equivalent of a cave man.

That's fucking hilarious, yeah like a caveman with math and logic and science for tools. If not for the fact that religion and education were intimately intertwined for centuries, it would be ironic that it was these very same religious and enlightened individuals who were the ones responsible for developing the tools and foundations which made religion and God unnecessary and irrelevant.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2012, 09:35 PM
There is an endemic concern here that I have grown past in my love of my Gwynnies - defending the capabilities of my intellect. I jumped down Ghost's neck for not defending this identity (atheist on this forum, here; versus facebook theist), there was no hate in it.

I don't have to be such an asshole all the time; rather I am preparing myself to limit real-time assholery. Like thinking of this kind of theist - and wanting to take the ax to 'em. Wink

Hopefully, HoC will not devolve into senseless sensationalism, but I'm a passionate creature and there is that risk. I know that there is no absolute right - this alone puts atheist at the pinnacle of intellectual evaluation - but when they shout out in ignorance, they speak to my very core of what is absolutely wrong.

And shit may jump off. Such is life. Wink

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-01-2012, 07:36 AM
As an anthropology student, I find those comments troubling on more than just a philosophical level.

I really hate it when people imply that ancient people's are 'stupid.' Ancient humans were amazingly intelligent, look at what came of them! The fact that it has become common place to replace the words 'dumb,' 'stupid,' or other synonyms with 'cave men' makes my blood boil.

Ancient people were amazingly resilient and innovative, brilliant and creative. How many people today could paint on the walls of caves the way they did? How many people would know exactly where to go to find the right food? How many could build a megalithic tomb of stone or an even larger sanctuary?

Ancient people used the tools they had to understand the world. We are still using and tweaking what we inherited from them, and we are improving them. There is no longer room for the mysterious and invisible 'god' they used to explain what they didn't know.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
28-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Yay!!!! Another member into anthropology!!!!!! I'm someone who can't afford a degree and has moved onto other things, but still an enthusiast. People are always trying to belittle those around them. The past is generally a good start. they often forget that there is little difference separating them with their ancestors. We might have some enjoyable conversations soon.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-01-2012, 04:52 PM
(28-01-2012 12:04 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Yay!!!! Another member into anthropology!!!!!! I'm someone who can't afford a degree and has moved onto other things, but still an enthusiast. People are always trying to belittle those around them. The past is generally a good start. they often forget that there is little difference separating them with their ancestors. We might have some enjoyable conversations soon.

Yaaaay! I guess I should say that I AM an anthropologist since I technically have a BA now...I recently graduated so I'm not quite used to it yet xD

it's a wonderful topic to be interested in, and I do tend to focus on ritual and ancient religions of Northern Europe as well as Osteology (skeletal anatomy).

My Blog
28-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I only have an AA which on it's own gave me a debt. Anthropology is a scary field to accrue a debt for since there's no guarantee you'll succeed at making any money. I'm highly cultural more focused on small tribal cultures. The group I've most studied is the Ainu of Japan, but still I've only studied a small amount. Currently life is constantly complicated by itself so I haven't been looking into too much, but I'm always excited to hear and discuss. Glad to hear you got your BA, but for Anthropology that's usually not the end. Are you currently working on your doctorate?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-01-2012, 05:11 PM
(28-01-2012 05:09 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I only have an AA which on it's own gave me a debt. Anthropology is a scary field to accrue a debt for since there's no guarantee you'll succeed at making any money. I'm highly cultural more focused on small tribal cultures. The group I've most studied is the Ainu of Japan, but still I've only studied a small amount. Currently life is constantly complicated by itself so I haven't been looking into too much, but I'm always excited to hear and discuss. Glad to hear you got your BA, but for Anthropology that's usually not the end. Are you currently working on your doctorate?

I'm taking time off before I go to an MA program in the UK which will eventually end up in a PHD.

I am ALSO, funny enough, have a BA in Japanese Language and Literature, so the Ainu are inevitably an interest of mine though not the primary focus of my study.

My Blog
28-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Yay!!! I'm currently working a move from the US to Canada. I have no idea what relevance my desired field could have in Canada, but my desired mate is there. I'm acceptable in Japanese the two things are just a part of me that has always been. Though in wondering what I'll end up doing I have often looked towards linguistic anthropology. There is a lot less travel necessary. I have done some travel though seeing as I'm poor not nearly enough.

I was pretty ecstatic when Japan finally admitted that the Ainu existed. They sure took long enough seeing as how everyone already knew =p I love Japan despite the issues it's had. I've visited and have a special connection.

Are you European or planning school abroad? Part of my hesitation is wondering where I'll end up living. The US has never been a home I've desired. It took a long time to finally get to the point where I leave though.

28-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I live in the glorious state of Iowa. I lived in England when I was 14 for a year with my parents and have been itching to go back and be with my friends. Grad school is a good opportunity to do that.

I started out in socio-cultural anthro but have since branched over in to Archeology. I've done a lot of study recently in ancient Greece, but I still prefer the Iron age of Northern Europe the most. It's a tough field but I love it enough to keep at it.

My Blog
28-01-2012, 07:07 PM
I love the field and I plan to get into it, but I'm going to try and get my life together first. different people get different opportunities. When I'm able to afford schooling I'll continue. Though I may not get my degree till 40. Archeology is great I've done some and visited a few sites in Italy, but I really prefer the current living. Doesn't mean I'm not excessively interested in most of archeological news coming out. Do you check out any anthropological news sites? My professor liked TAMU so I look to them when I think to look. at the moment it's not my driving force, but currently with a plan to change countries looming little keeps me all that driven.