mono myth vs basic rpg classes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2015, 04:25 PM
mono myth vs basic rpg classes
Has anybody ever compared the heroes journey archetypes{ the mono myth} to the basic seven classes of rpgs. I was kind of curious because they both effect story telling in total interesting ways but have similar effects. One is used in writing and the there is used in role playing, but i don't see why they couldn't change places or be used together. heck before I knew about the mono myth I made up classes for my characters and this help me make their personality a bit more.what do you think... ty for your time.

p.s. I tried to post this on yahoo answers but that site is acting weird right now.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2015, 07:33 AM
RE: mono myth vs basic rpg classes
I would have thought the RPG classes are fairly orthogonal to the hero's journey. The standard pathway of the monomyth can be experienced by any class. It seems the classes themselves address how each step along the path is experienced. Does the player/reader want to understand a rich and complex magic system? Does the hero want to explore weapons and act as a tank? Does the hero want to take a step back and either heal or lob arrows at their enemies. I think these are mostly about tactical combat mechanics rather than about story structure... though the structure of a magic system or weapon system does have some relationship to the monomyth structure. The levelling and skill tree aspects of RPG exist to walk the hero through from their initiation to their return.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
22-03-2015, 12:06 PM
RE: mono myth vs basic rpg classes
I think classes help you focus in on what you wat to write about... I've heard thats a problem for some writers. on top of that I've had some experience with choice. "the more the better, right." the thing is the more you have the less you actualy do. so add that to the infinite sand box of writing.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
[+] 1 user Likes kunoxian drive's post