moon, fish, boat, cow, rabbit, god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: moon, fish, boat, cow, rabbit, god
(09-10-2013 03:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-10-2013 05:39 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Granted, I've not spent the amount of time studying these things as you have, Main Lion, but my observations have been that the dominant celestial figure worshiped in religions the world over has been the sun.

Not to say that the moon hasn't played quite a role in the scheme of things also, but as religions developed out of stories made up about the heavens and their relevance to our existence, the sun seems to have played a bigger role as a life giving/ruling character. I would suppose that it's because of the sun's importance and seeming control over the changing of the seasons and each year's conditions (drought or bounty).

Just curious as to why you seem to think the moon is more relevant than the sun? Are there not just as many symbols in all the world's religions giving honor to the sun? Consider

Actually the Arabic (from which Islam with it's crescent moon, and moon-god, which turned into Allah, in Islam), cosmology supports Main Lion. They assumed that since the moon appeared larger, occasionally, it was a more important celestial object, thus more powerful god. The sun was a lesser god, in their cosmology. Their god (Sin) was a moon god. Al-Ilah was the crescent phase.

Yeah, I think I knew about that as far as Islam goes. I was just speaking overall. But like I said, I don't know, which is why I'm asking.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 12:09 PM
(09-10-2013 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Certainly not all religions are moon-based.

All religions have common roots based on similar ultra-early belief. Consciously religions are not about moon, but their origin is similar and can be still recognized via correlation of used shapes.
Coming to our reception in such weighty form occured because moon was not (and is not) only visual object. Having many useful characteristics, it gave us ability to cognize surrounding world by comparing those characteristics with objects and events around.

You can name any religion and we will try to analyse it together.
Find all posts by this user
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
(12-10-2013 12:09 PM)Main Lion Wrote:  
(09-10-2013 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Certainly not all religions are moon-based.

All religions have common roots based on similar ultra-early belief.

Unfounded assertion?

Quote:Consciously religions are not about moon, but their origin is similar and can be still recognized via correlation of used shapes.

Circular. You can't assume to be true that which you are trying to prove.

Quote:Coming to our reception in such weighty form occured because moon was not (and is not) only visual object. Having many useful characteristics, it gave us ability to cognize surrounding world by comparing those characteristics with objects and events around.

Sorry, I can make little sense of that.

Quote:You can name any religion and we will try to analyse it together.

No, your assertion is that something is true of all religions. I'm not playing 20 questions or pin the tail on the religion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post