moral obligation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2014, 11:36 PM
RE: moral obligation
(28-03-2014 11:26 PM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:22 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  If a belief motivated someone to do something like that, then I wouldn't call it harmless.
How would you determine that a belief is harmless? Which religion promotes the 'live and let live' philosophy?

Is this conversation going anywhere?

I haven't got all night you know...

A harmless belief would be something like pantheism or deism... Both are private, benign and don't influence people to do stupid things that hurt themselves or others.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2014, 11:37 PM
(28-03-2014 11:30 PM)Charis Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:26 PM)mknight Wrote:  How would you determine that a belief is harmless? Which religion promotes the 'live and let live' philosophy?
Doesn't Wicca?
Don't wiccans attempt to promote their (loosely organized) religion?
Find all posts by this user
28-03-2014, 11:43 PM
(28-03-2014 11:37 PM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:30 PM)Charis Wrote:  Doesn't Wicca?
Don't wiccans attempt to promote their (loosely organized) religion?

But they don't force it on people...

Nothing wrong with promoting your opinion, just don't force people to accept it.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
28-03-2014, 11:44 PM
(28-03-2014 11:36 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:26 PM)mknight Wrote:  How would you determine that a belief is harmless? Which religion promotes the 'live and let live' philosophy?

Is this conversation going anywhere?

A harmless belief would be something like pantheism or deism... Both are private, benign and don't influence people to do stupid things that hurt themselves or others.
The point is that there may be no way of determining whether a fantastic belief is harmless. Decisions based on illusory beliefs have a high potential of being harmful.
28-03-2014, 11:47 PM
(28-03-2014 11:43 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:37 PM)mknight Wrote:  Don't wiccans attempt to promote their (loosely organized) religion?

But they don't force it on people...

Nothing wrong with promoting your opinion, just don't force people to accept it.
If you're promoting it, you're taking the risk of influencing others; it's not the 'live and let live' approach that you suggested. But hey, you don't have all night, why are you still posting in this thread?
28-03-2014, 11:55 PM
(28-03-2014 11:44 PM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:36 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Is this conversation going anywhere?

The point is that there may be no way of determining whether a fantastic belief is harmless. Decisions based on illusory beliefs have a high potential of being harmful.

And my point is... No matter how much logic and reason you use, people will always have a tendency towards delusional beliefs... Something in our brains makes us susceptible to belief in silly ideas.

So long as an individual or organization does not force their belief upon, hurt or harass others, they should be free to believe what they like.

For people's well being and enjoyment of life, it would be cruel and wrong to force them to face reality if they are mentally incapable of accepting it.

To force an atheistic world view on someone would be just as much of a violation human rights as forcing religion on an atheist.

Hello secularism...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
29-03-2014, 12:04 AM
(28-03-2014 11:47 PM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:43 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  But they don't force it on people...

If you're promoting it, you're taking the risk of influencing others; it's not the 'live and let live' approach that you suggested. But hey, you don't have all night, why are you still posting in this thread?

I would (mildly) disagree here. In my personal opinion, a person can still promote something, whether it be a system of thought, a pizza, or my boobies in such a way that it is not violating the "let live" part of it all.

Look at most food ads on billboards. Those are definite promotions, but they are still not doing so offensively or interferingly, so I would say that they are still adhering to the "live and let live" statement. My personal opinion is that Wicca is a religion that is very capable of being promoted in a very low-key, tasteful and unobtrusive manner, barring the occassional emotional anomoly that will inevitably come with human interaction of almost any kind.
29-03-2014, 12:09 AM
(28-03-2014 11:55 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:44 PM)mknight Wrote:  The point is that there may be no way of determining whether a fantastic belief is harmless. Decisions based on illusory beliefs have a high potential of being harmful.

And my point is... No matter how much logic and reason you use, people will always have a tendency towards delusional beliefs... Something in our brains makes us susceptible to belief in silly ideas.

So long as an individual or organization does not force their belief upon, hurt or harass others, they should be free to believe what they like.

For people's well being and enjoyment of life, it would be cruel and wrong to force them to face reality if they are mentally incapable of accepting it.

To force an atheistic world view on someone would be just as much of a violation human rights as forcing religion on an atheist.

Hello secularism...
I understand but, while many who believe in fantastic notions may well have good intentions, the influence they exert on the gullible shouldn't be condoned.
29-03-2014, 12:51 AM
(28-03-2014 11:06 PM)mknight Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:02 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  If a religion is harmless, benign, peaceful, practices a "live and let live" approach, doesn't attempt to control others
You know of such a religion?

Jainism

29-03-2014, 01:04 AM
(29-03-2014 12:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-03-2014 11:06 PM)mknight Wrote:  You know of such a religion?

Jainism
While they come closest, they still promote their views and so it's not 'live and let live'. But that's my point, no organized religious organization can be expected to 'survive' if it doesn't manage to recruit new members by selling their fantastic views.