29-03-2014, 01:28 AM
RE: moral obligation
Or restaurant.
Or feminine hygiene company.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2014, 04:56 AM
(28-03-2014 10:26 PM)mknight Wrote:  Do atheists have the moral obligation to encourage believers to think critically?

No. Moral obligations are nonsense.
29-03-2014, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 05:31 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(28-03-2014 10:26 PM)mknight Wrote:  Do atheists have the moral obligation to encourage believers to think critically?
Emm... not unless their lack of critical thinking is harming others which is precisely what organized religion does with its outdated stone age dogmas.

I'm fine with people believing in God as long as they don't tell me&my family what to do and how to live.
(29-03-2014 12:51 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Jainism
ha ha ha i still wonder if jains are just a bunch of bunch of old people going through mid life crisis.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
29-03-2014, 05:47 AM
(29-03-2014 05:26 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  ...
ha ha ha i still wonder if jains are just a bunch of bunch of old people going through mid life crisis.

Speaking only of the small sample size with whom I am personally acquainted... couldn't meet a friendlier, non-proselytising bunch.

And only 'old' by Ferdie's definition.

Confused

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Anybody else having a flashback to Donotwant's line of demanding answeres ?

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 3 users Like War Horse's post
29-03-2014, 06:51 AM
The job of the philosopher is only to make the ideas available. It is up to the individual to evaluate those ideas for themselves.

Also lets not forget that not all atheists are rational critical thinkers. Atheism is only a stance on one issue. Nothing else. It says nothing about why or how that person became an atheist.
29-03-2014, 08:50 AM
(29-03-2014 06:51 AM)natachan Wrote:  The job of the philosopher is only to make the ideas available. It is up to the individual to evaluate those ideas for themselves.

Also lets not forget that not all atheists are rational critical thinkers. Atheism is only a stance on one issue. Nothing else. It says nothing about why or how that person became an atheist.
Presently, it's practically impossible to remain ignorant of these 'ideas'. The opportunity to evaluate was made available to the theist but the illusion persists. Like a member of the audience at a magic show, caught in a loop, unable to snap out of it.
29-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I not sure I'm obligated, morally or otherwise, to convince anyone of anything. People who do shitty things in the name of religion aren't likely to listen anyway. They seem to use religion as an excuse and they sure as hell won't let you take that away.
29-03-2014, 09:53 AM
(29-03-2014 08:50 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 06:51 AM)natachan Wrote:  The job of the philosopher is only to make the ideas available. It is up to the individual to evaluate those ideas for themselves.

Presently, it's practically impossible to remain ignorant of these 'ideas'. The opportunity to evaluate was made available to the theist but the illusion persists. Like a member of the audience at a magic show, caught in a loop, unable to snap out of it.

And so we have to force it on them? Instead I making sure there are books, websites, videos, etc? That's all we SHOULD do. Some people aren't exposed to these ideas and so we have to make them available and accessible. We should not ever pressure someone to accept our views. We don't want to replace their reasoning with our own. We don't want slaves or servants. We want strong independant minds. If they only convert because they're pressured that's not desirable.

While religion strives by exploiting this type of mindset I don't think it's healthy. Only the individual can choose to think, no one can force them.
29-03-2014, 10:09 AM
(29-03-2014 09:53 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(29-03-2014 08:50 AM)mknight Wrote:  Presently, it's practically impossible to remain ignorant of these 'ideas'. The opportunity to evaluate was made available to the theist but the illusion persists. Like a member of the audience at a magic show, caught in a loop, unable to snap out of it.

And so we have to force it on them? Instead I making sure there are books, websites, videos, etc? That's all we SHOULD do. Some people aren't exposed to these ideas and so we have to make them available and accessible. We should not ever pressure someone to accept our views. We don't want to replace their reasoning with our own. We don't want slaves or servants. We want strong independant minds. If they only convert because they're pressured that's not desirable.

While religion strives by exploiting this type of mindset I don't think it's healthy. Only the individual can choose to think, no one can force them.
I don't disagree, we don't want to force our views on them; I was only suggesting that we should at least make an effort to help them think critically. The lost often need help reading maps.