moral obligation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 06:13 AM
RE: moral obligation
The only reason I'd try to talk anyone from comitting suicide is for purely selfish reasons. A total stranger deciding to take their own life is none of my business unless they actively involve me in some way.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-03-2014, 07:27 AM
(31-03-2014 06:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 05:07 AM)mknight Wrote:  Would you, through inaction, allow a cult member (a la heaven's gate) to commit suicide?

Why not?

Is human life sacred?
We obviously don't think alike; I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't at least make an effort in this case.
[+] 1 user Likes mknight's post
31-03-2014, 07:31 AM
(31-03-2014 06:13 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The only reason I'd try to talk anyone from comitting suicide is for purely selfish reasons. A total stranger deciding to take their own life is none of my business unless they actively involve me in some way.
Amazing, I don't see it that way and, as it turns out, I have prevented a suicide and convinced the individual to seek professional help. She has found a way to restore some sort of internal balance and expressed her gratitude. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try under such circumstances.
31-03-2014, 08:14 AM
(31-03-2014 05:14 AM)mknight Wrote:  It provides the perfect opportunity to compare and re-evaluate our respective positions. I think inaction and silence for the sake of the 'live and let live' philosophy is a mistake. I'm not advocating the forceful approach but I think we should encourage critical re-evaluation of the position.

If you don't like inaction and silence then don't be inactive or silent. I'm sure plenty of theists will be happy to tell you where you can stick it Drinking Beverage I have my own causes I support.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-03-2014, 08:32 AM
(31-03-2014 08:14 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 05:14 AM)mknight Wrote:  It provides the perfect opportunity to compare and re-evaluate our respective positions. I think inaction and silence for the sake of the 'live and let live' philosophy is a mistake. I'm not advocating the forceful approach but I think we should encourage critical re-evaluation of the position.

If you don't like inaction and silence then don't be inactive or silent. I'm sure plenty of theists will be happy to tell you where you can stick it Drinking Beverage I have my own causes I support.
Not bad, funny even. As it turns out, so far, I've had mostly good experiences while actively engaging theists. I make efforts to use a tactful approach.
31-03-2014, 08:34 AM
(31-03-2014 07:27 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 06:00 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Why not?

Is human life sacred?
We obviously don't think alike; I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't at least make an effort in this case.

As I said, having been in that position, I asked the question, they said they didn't want to die so I helped them live.

If they had chosen death, my action would have been to walk away.

If someone wants to die, who am I to take that right away from them.

But, if they asked me to help them kill themselves... that would be harder choice.

31-03-2014, 08:50 AM
(31-03-2014 07:31 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 06:13 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  The only reason I'd try to talk anyone from comitting suicide is for purely selfish reasons. A total stranger deciding to take their own life is none of my business unless they actively involve me in some way.
Amazing, I don't see it that way and, as it turns out, I have prevented a suicide and convinced the individual to seek professional help. She has found a way to restore some sort of internal balance and expressed her gratitude. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try under such circumstances.

You are you and I am me. You're thinking paves the way for establishing laws that limit freedom of choice, mine does not.

If I choose to take my own life I don't want or need a stranger's opinion unless I ask, thank you very much.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
31-03-2014, 09:19 AM
mknight, could you look at this link and share your thoughts about it with us?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 3 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-03-2014, 05:11 PM
(31-03-2014 04:50 AM)mknight Wrote:  
(31-03-2014 03:54 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  no
And why not?

Because there is no atheist dogma

[Image: RPYH95t.png]