mum's gone mad

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2016, 03:02 AM
mum's gone mad
Hi all, this is my first post and I joined to get some opinions on whether I would just entirely pull back from commenting on my mothers beliefs. After being very christian when my 2 older siblings were small she was for all appearances at least neutral on religion until I was 15. She then discovered buddhism, that was 32 years ago and it was not a big deal for me until recently, I even passed off the past life memories as a harmless fantasy. However in the last couple of years she has been accepted as a mitra and is now seeking ordination. Since then we cannot have a conversation that she doesn't bring back to buddhism, which always involves how I would be better off following the precepts. There are 2 issues, the first is the same that any atheist faces when talking to a atheist family member , which I cold deal with as know the subject matter, the less familiar one is, my lack of anything other than superficial knowledge od buddhist scripture. Does anyone know where I can access an atheist annotated version of the more popular beliefs ( I have to say here that my mother is ok with the dichotemy of thier being no self and her absolute memories of past lives and I found it surprising that she doesn't feel the need to reconcile the various interpretations of what buddha said on the matter, she is actually very comfortable with saying I don't know while assuming one of them must be. I know I really should do the research but a fell pointers would be appreciated. Also if someone has experience in smacking a previous femanist who has now become part of, if not the most mysoginistic, then surely in the top 2 religions please assist. ,
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2016, 06:07 AM
RE: mum's gone mad
Hi Smile welcome to TTA. I don't know of any skeptics annotated version of Buddhism, but I'm sure they are out there.

The only thing I would suggest is talking to your mom about your concerns. If she still decides to continue along with her beliefs, then I think you have to accept that. IMO, everyone gets through life differently. Some people like to use faith as a way to do that. We get one life and everyone has to make their own choices at to what to do with that life. If her decision is Buddhism, then you have to let her go down that path. I know it's hard, but it's ultimately her choice.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-01-2016, 08:15 PM
(27-01-2016 03:02 AM)dontgetit Wrote:  Hi all, this is my first post and I joined to get some opinions on whether I would just entirely pull back from commenting on my mothers beliefs. [...]

You might find THIS very brief description of Buddhism of some help.

And welcome to the forums. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
27-01-2016, 08:22 PM
(27-01-2016 03:02 AM)dontgetit Wrote:  Hi all, this is my first post and I joined to get some opinions on whether I would just entirely pull back from commenting on my mothers beliefs. After being very christian when my 2 older siblings were small she was for all appearances at least neutral on religion until I was 15. She then discovered buddhism, that was 32 years ago and it was not a big deal for me until recently, I even passed off the past life memories as a harmless fantasy. However in the last couple of years she has been accepted as a mitra and is now seeking ordination. Since then we cannot have a conversation that she doesn't bring back to buddhism, which always involves how I would be better off following the precepts. There are 2 issues, the first is the same that any atheist faces when talking to a atheist family member , which I cold deal with as know the subject matter, the less familiar one is, my lack of anything other than superficial knowledge od buddhist scripture. Does anyone know where I can access an atheist annotated version of the more popular beliefs ( I have to say here that my mother is ok with the dichotemy of thier being no self and her absolute memories of past lives and I found it surprising that she doesn't feel the need to reconcile the various interpretations of what buddha said on the matter, she is actually very comfortable with saying I don't know while assuming one of them must be. I know I really should do the research but a fell pointers would be appreciated. Also if someone has experience in smacking a previous femanist who has now become part of, if not the most mysoginistic, then surely in the top 2 religions please assist. ,

You are obviously old enough to have moved out. So why do you care? Just tell her you don't want to talk about the subject. I did this yesterday with my cathylicker dad. I just said "Look dad, I am an atheist." He said, "Okay, I've been a catholic all my life." I said No worries and we spoke about other things. I have told my dad before but he's 88 and forgets.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
27-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Good on ya banjo. Smile
28-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Hello and Welcome.

Buddism, hmm well a least your wouldn't have to refute a divine being.

Her is what I would have to deconstruct in order to create a rebuttle.
1. What dose she think he past lives was/were? Was she a mouse? Was she Cleopatra? That sort of thing.
2. Dose she believe in a spirit or soul? If so how dose she think she can demonstrate it.
3. Dose she think it's a eternal jump. Because the spirit/soul jump for body to body?
4. Where dose she think the original souls come from?
5. A current population of 7 billion people would still be small compare to the entirety of life that has exsisted on this planet. And if every plant and insect etc etc got a chance to become a person and vise versa you would think that there would be a cap on life. or the things that would exists only threw the spirit.

Just the first questions that pop in my mind.

I think it's also an important thing to remember it's your mother. And as annoying as she may be when it comes to the subject a certion level of understand will have to be applied.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin