my 8 reads Hunger Games

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2017, 01:08 PM
my 8 reads Hunger Games
My 8 year old daughter is a lover of books. She is highly competent and will read for hours on her own, often brings her books to the dinner table and in the car, she even reads at school in her lunch time.

I got her to read Harry Potter series last year. She started off being not that into it, but really wanted to watch the movies and eventually loved the book series.

I tried to get her to read Red Dwarf and also The Golden Compass but think she stuggled too much with the language of those books.
So I turned to Hunger Games, she read the first book and is now into the second one. She loves it, can't put it down.

Yesterday her teacher noticed her reading it and said outloud that the book is not suitable for an 8 year old. I wasn't there so not sure how serious the teacher was or if she was somewhat joking or what. She certainly hasn't sent us (the parents) any email to express any concern.

I've checked online and there are many parents who are worried about kids reading these books. Of course you are going to get parents worried about all sorts of censorship things regarding kids. I even have a friend who edited Zootopia to take out the "dark scenes" so their kid (5) could watch it.

I'm quite liberal, I've sat with my 8 year old and watched "warm bodies" and "zombieland" as well as "poltergeist", "gremlins".

I probably wouldn't watch "Omen" or "Bad Taste" or other splatter movies with her, and I'd avoid Mills and Boon stuff because I just don't think she would understand the concept of sex, and certainly not to that level of detail, it would just be really weird and gross.

I think if my kid isn't having nightmares and isn't bored by the books and shows that she is actually excited about reading them, then all is fine. I just want her enthusiasm for reading to grow.

Is anyone here adamant that an 8 year old shouldn't be reading "Hunger Games"?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
25-07-2017, 01:37 PM
RE: my 8 reads Hunger Games
I would say don't finish the series for it not being able to sustain a decent quality going to the end.

But maybe she'll be fine with a little repressive romance idea of the story.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
25-07-2017, 02:41 PM
When I was her age I watched the first Dracula with Christopher Lee and the Omen. And I read the French Connection - the first english language book I ever read. I remember vividly that I didn't know what giving a tail meant. That being the time before the internet I couldn't look up the phrase. Oh yes, and I also read The Godfather. Not because my parents wanted me to, but because it was lying around and nobody stopped me.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
25-07-2017, 02:52 PM
(25-07-2017 01:37 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  But maybe she'll be fine with a little repressive romance idea of the story.
Repressive romance?

From what I remember, from watching the movies, I never really understood if she loved Peter or not, I can't quite remember why she switched from her previous bo to him. I guess going through a traumatic experience such as the Hunger Games could have brought them together, especially when they had to trust each other with their lives.

But going on the romance lines, I think fairy tales are creepy. Beauty and the Beast is creepy, the guy locks her up and ends up with the girl in the end.
Other fairy tales are also very creepy. If kids can handle that stuff, they can handle pretty much anything.
25-07-2017, 02:59 PM
(25-07-2017 02:41 PM)abaris Wrote:  When I was her age I watched the first Dracula with Christopher Lee and the Omen. And I read the French Connection - the first english language book I ever read. I remember vividly that I didn't know what giving a tail meant. That being the time before the internet I couldn't look up the phrase. Oh yes, and I also read The Godfather. Not because my parents wanted me to, but because it was lying around and nobody stopped me.
I was young when I watched Omen II, it freaked me out quite a bit. I don't think my daughter would enjoy it.

I think perhaps peeps worry too much about trying to control their kids environment. I got a little worried when I heard her teacher thought HG was inappropriate, but I'm thinking its fine now.

Perhaps Divergent series next and then maybe Lovely Bones.
25-07-2017, 03:31 PM
(25-07-2017 02:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I think perhaps peeps worry too much about trying to control their kids environment. I got a little worried when I heard her teacher thought HG was inappropriate, but I'm thinking its fine now.

If you think of it, burning the canibal witch in her own oven isn't that much better. Or cutting the wolve open to save grandma from being digested.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
25-07-2017, 05:40 PM
One thing I can say is from stories of people I heard in the book field in some capacity, so often they had details of just reading the things that were laying around the house that may of been adult.

And the things that on some chance where too much for them at that age, like flowers in the attic, they kinda just ignored and moved on to things they liked elsewhere.

My comment before more so is in not being fond of the way the stories conclude

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post