my brother and the confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2015, 09:25 PM
my brother and the confederate flag
So my brother has this thing about this flag thinking its the greatest thing ever and he likes to post lies about this flag. So I decided it was time I gave him the facts about this racist flag.
I sent him a link to the declaration of succession and quoted him the part about states rights and slavery and why the south rose up against the north. Right there in black and white, it is very clear.
So he basicly told me that he didn't believe it and it was just a battle flag. I told him yes in a war about slavery on the side that wants to keep slavery!!
We went back and forth a little bit. Finally I told him that if wants to hang on to lies instead that's fine but to remember it was from a group of people that lost their asses in the war!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
12-07-2015, 10:09 PM
RE: my brother and the confederate flag
cool story bro, needs more dragon.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
12-07-2015, 10:13 PM
(12-07-2015 10:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  cool story bro, needs more dragon.

OK then the dragon said that I was ignorant and it was all opinion.

How can it be opinion when it is a legal document from the south to the north???

The dragon blew fire at me because he knew I was right. Lol
[+] 5 users Like purpledaisies's post
13-07-2015, 12:38 PM
(12-07-2015 10:09 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  cool story bro, needs more dragon.

"This scene does not contain a lapdance."

Thank you, CinemaSins!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
13-07-2015, 12:44 PM
On a serious note, as I'm from the South but had a minor in History to go along with my Biology degree, I have had a version of the OP's conversation about a dozen times in the last few weeks. I'm exhausted from even thinking about it, any more.

Has to come a point when you recognize that they don't want to actually think about their stupid opinions, or worry about troublesome things like facts, but only to identify who the threats to the True Scotsmen™ are.

Even after I conclusively demonstrated to all my family on FBook that the flag is openly based on White Supremacy according to its own designers, they continue to post proud pictures of people in parades of pickups, flying the Confederate/Army-of-Virginia Battle Flag. (Sorry for unintentional alliteration... yes, I almost said "accidental alliteration".) My family are not racists, nor do they condone it in any way, aside from tacit approval of hyper-conservative policies that promote structural racism, a concept they simply don't/won't recognize. To them, calling it "heritage, not hate" absolves them of the fact that this heritage is based 100% on hate. Their pride in Southern culture may be well-founded if they continue to move away from that hateful heritage, not take extra effort to embrace the primary symbol of that hateful heritage. Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
13-07-2015, 12:45 PM
My brother is an asshole, too. Seems to happen in every family.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
13-07-2015, 01:46 PM
If its family I correct them. If not I hide the post. I've unfollowed quite a few in the past few weeks because of the drama. Ridiculous that people refuse to see the truth when it slaps them in the face. I even told my brother that too. Sheesh. Smh I don't know what else to do. However I look at it this way, when I post the truth to something stupid like that there are people reading it and will know the truth.
13-07-2015, 06:33 PM
(13-07-2015 12:45 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  My brother is an asshole, too. Seems to happen in every family.

As the brother in the family I can safely say that it is not I but rather them that are in fact the assholes.

[Image: oscar.png]
13-07-2015, 06:42 PM
Here's a good article to link them to, or to read for its rhetoric that may be useful to you, if they're failing to grasp why they are unjustified in claiming they are not racist simply because they don't have racist beliefs.

I, Racist

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
14-07-2015, 10:12 AM
(13-07-2015 06:42 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  ...
I, Racist

Thanks for that link.

Interesting parallel with what's happening in my neck of the woods, i.e. the call to talk more candidly about racism.

The point about systemic racism has me pondering.

Quote:... racism is even more subtle than that. It’s more nuanced. Racism is the fact that “White” means “normal” and that anything else is different.

A societal norm is obviously going to favour / be created by the majority... this is the nature of democracy (and memetics) and even when the majority becomes the minority, it still takes a while for the norm to shift due to other factors (wealth imbalance, apartheid, power structures).

By the same token (pun not intended) if 'white' is the norm, then so is 'christianity' in the USofA. Atheists would not claim that christians are racist (yeah, I know, Mormonism) because although the majority/minority effect has a parallel, a belief (or lack of) is not a race.

The same reasoning can be applied to gay / straight.

Quote:Black children learn this when their parents give them “The Talk.” When they are sat down at the age of 5 or so and told that their best friend’s father is not sick, and not in a bad mood– he just doesn’t want his son playing with you. Black children grow up early to life in The Matrix. We’re not given a choice of the red or blue pill.

To a degree, the same applies to atheist children (as members of TTA have oft described) and undoubtedly too, other non-christians e.g. Sikhs or Jews?

If the outcome is the same, and all scenarios (black/white, non-christian/christian and gay/straight) have anti-discrimination laws, what then is the difference?

I guess it's to do with the ability to hide in the closet. But even then, wearing a turban will mark you as different.

I have a feeling that I'm rambling now.

The point, I think, is that yes, racism exists. It's real. But it's discrimination, passive and active, in all its colours/stripes that needs to be addressed. And that will mean continuing to breed out the human instinct of in-group-ism.

So the author has it right when he/she wrote of the identification with a group or as an individual. If everyone saw everyone else as an individual, the battle would be won.

Consider

Afterthought... Is atheism the new black?

Blink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post