my brother and the confederate flag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2015, 11:20 AM
RE: my brother and the confederate flag
I'd say atheism is the old gay. Heh. We've always been the despised Non-Believers in a world where most people are genetically shaped to have a belief (or so most anthropologists/ethologists believe) system to enhance social cohesion in the tribal societies which shaped the first 99% of our post-hominid evolutionary timeline.

Certainly as long as you're not protected by law from discriminatory outcomes by bigots (hard to do even when it's an obvious and less-nebulous trait, like skin color/race), and as long as what happens to you in life is controlled by the degree to which you deviate from the "accepted norm" (even if not the majority), then you have a problem.

I disagree with the premise that one must be part of the majority in order to not face such discrimination in a democratic society. We have come to accept many things, despite the numbers changing little, that are different from the time of our founding fathers, here in the USA... a good example is that people nearly killed you, before the country's Constitution, if you were the wrong brand of Christian; the famous "wall of separation of church and state" letter to the Danbury Baptist Association was to reassure them that they would not be persecuted and/or harmed under the law for being that "weirdo new denomination" of the Baptists. Nowdays, we don't care what denomination, and barely care what faith someone is, as long as it's a part of a church that's part of the community (i.e. "has a stone building on the corner 21st and Main Street").

A combination of "forcing" acceptance by law/judiciary, followed by a couple of generations for the old bigots who don't like the new way and never will to die off, will fix most of the issues, I think... look at the issues of Miscegenation and School Segregation. Unfortunately, the systemic problems of institutionalized racism remained, even as personal racist policies fell by the wayside, because the government was too entrenched in the former and people only pushed to change the latter. As long as we allow people to build societies based on exclusion and the law does not step in over objections to stop powerful cultural groups from suppressing others (see my tagline at the bottom), under a strictly-enforced Constitutional Bill of Rights, people are going to hurt those they see as Different, Threatening, and Dangerous (black men, feminists, witches, druggies, atheists, commies, foreigners, yankees/liberals... name your poison).

So we get what we got here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it!

I don't like it any more than you men.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Many people see the flag as a symbol of hatred and oppression. Others as a symbol of freedom. All I think about when I see it is the Duke boys. And General Lee was not a guy. It was an absolutely beautiful car!
15-07-2015, 03:03 PM
The it's just a battle flag claim doesn't make sense to me.. okay so it being the battle flag is somehow a better thing? To acknowledge and revere the war and fighting? hmmm.

You know, if these people love the confederate flag so much why don't they marry it!? Rainbow Vomit

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
15-07-2015, 05:57 PM
(13-07-2015 12:45 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  My brother is an asshole, too. Seems to happen in every family.

Mine is too, kind of glad I am not alone in this suffering. Yes

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post