my first kid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 07:29 PM
my first kid
my wife is 6 months pregnant with our first child (a daughter). My wife want to raise her as a seventh day adventist. this is also my first kid and don't know if there are any atheist parenting groups on line or anything i really need some help on how to not mess up our relationship with my wife and raise a free thinking child.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 09:39 PM
RE: my first kid
There is a facebook group dedicated to the support of Atheist parents...I'm a member and it's one of the best support groups I've ever been in, including real life support groups...if your interested in more info just PM me.

In regards to your issue, it is going to be really really hard....but as long as your wife understands that it is your child as well as hers, then you should be able to find a fitting compromise. I'd suggest just sitting down and talking to her about it....If she knows that you are an atheist then she really shouldn't be surprised that you have a problem with indoctrination. Don't be hostile, don't be pushy, just put the idea out there that you don't agree with having only one option for your child.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 1 user Likes Likos02's post
29-04-2013, 07:03 AM
I'm curious as to how you married an Adventist without having first discussed this.Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2013, 07:18 AM
(28-04-2013 07:29 PM)littleHEATHEN Wrote:  my wife is 6 months pregnant with our first child (a daughter). My wife want to raise her as a seventh day adventist. this is also my first kid and don't know if there are any atheist parenting groups on line or anything i really need some help on how to not mess up our relationship with my wife and raise a free thinking child.

My wife is a christian, for lack of a better term, but was raised fundamentalist christian. Lucky for me, she never bought into the supreme bullshit they spin (talking in tongues) and always thought it was phooey. Also, lucky for me was the self-realization that her parents are morons (she would never say that word but she knows they are not intelligent people who value education or any liberal ideas). This made the conversation about raising our kid the way we would want to be raised. If he wants to go to church, I could care less (as she is not someone who is going to buy into the creatard crap and the hell-bound preaching assholes). If he doesn't want to go, she isn't going to make him.

As for your plight, the conversation needs to be had about what you are comfortable with and what she is comfortable with.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley