my husband has skin cancer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2016, 04:24 PM
RE: my husband has skin cancer
Every cancer is different and every person responds differently to treatment. Take care to get him care geared specifically to his body and his cancer.

Depending on his treatment, the going might get rough but you will need to help him through this. You can do this - you are stronger than you think. Heart

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
25-05-2016, 04:36 PM
(25-05-2016 01:57 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  We knew he had a spot on his shoulder. He went in and they took a biopsy. We got the call today that it was Malignant. Anyone gone through this and what should I expect. I'm very worried right now.

My brother had a few spots every couple of years. He'd go in and in his words "have it burned off." He has since passed on, but not from that. It was, for him at least, a minor annoyance.
25-05-2016, 04:48 PM
One thing I've learnt in recovery is don't catastrophize the future.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
25-05-2016, 08:47 PM
My wife had a malignant melanoma about 10 or12 years ago. Her doc cut it off and she is fine. She also had breast cancer 6 years ago. She has had no recurrence of that either. I had prostate cancer a few years ago and had my prostate removed. It was stage 3 when they diagnosed it. I'm fine now. Cancer doesn't scare me.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
25-05-2016, 08:54 PM
(25-05-2016 01:57 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  We knew he had a spot on his shoulder. He went in and they took a biopsy. We got the call today that it was Malignant. Anyone gone through this and what should I expect. I'm very worried right now.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Early detection is the key in any cancers, so I hope it's early enough that it can just be cut out and forgotten about forever.

Hang in there. Hug
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
26-05-2016, 12:40 PM
So sorry Purpledaisies. My wife is a heme/onc doctor and while she doesn't specialize in skin cancer, I can still try to pump her for more info once you have more details.
26-05-2016, 12:43 PM
(26-05-2016 12:40 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  So sorry Purpledaisies. My wife is a heme/onc doctor and while she doesn't specialize in skin cancer, I can still try to pump her for more info once you have more details.

Thank you, I won't have any details til the 9th when his appointment is. I'm going to ask as much as i can.
26-05-2016, 04:30 PM
(25-05-2016 02:21 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It depends on which kind of skin cancer it is. Most are slow-growth and easily treated by outpatient surgery, but melanoma is very dangerous and can be deadly.

My best wishes for his quick and complete treatment.
Melanoma is very aggressive and doesn't respond to chemo.
It also depends at what stage the tumor is. Stage 1 has a higher success rate/survival rate, Stage 3 and 4 is poor.
If they are finding it just on the skin then that could be early stage, perhaps they remove a bit of skin and your husband might then be fine. There is always a chance it can come back (somewhere) two to five years later. So not over the woods, but hopefully pushed to the back of the mind.

They may check lymphs and blood (perhaps LDH levels) in order to stage it.
There are all sorts of cancers and all sorts of aspects to it.
Some are very treatable, so no need to assume it is the end of the line.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
26-05-2016, 08:16 PM
The only thing I know about cancer treatment is go to the best place you can go to. Even if it means traveling. From all I read and hear from people who have been through cancer treatment, not all doctors or facilities are equal and there is a big difference in quality of treatment.

Hopefully this is a very localized issue and one you can easily deal with but don't mess around with where you go.

Hoping for the best outcome for you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
26-05-2016, 08:49 PM
(26-05-2016 12:43 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  
(26-05-2016 12:40 PM)Iñigo Wrote:  So sorry Purpledaisies. My wife is a heme/onc doctor and while she doesn't specialize in skin cancer, I can still try to pump her for more info once you have more details.

Thank you, I won't have any details til the 9th when his appointment is. I'm going to ask as much as i can.

Try this site:
acor

There are specific forums for various types of cancer.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post